Varnishing acrylics

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
I know very little about acrylics and I've only just started using them. What I wondered was, do they have to be varnished? If so what would you recommend I use. So far I'm liking them a lot but I've only painted three so far😀so I have a long way to go yet! Any advice would be helpful.
The advise I have from here on the forum was that acrylics don't need to be varnished, but I found it brightens the colour. And seems to somehow gives them that finishing look. If you know what I mean... I used liquitex professional gloss medium and varnish.. it's a little expensive but is well worth it. I've also used liquitex soluvar gloss varnish for both acrylics and oils.. I only put a thin watered down layer on. It seems to work for me... I m sure someone with more knowledge will add variation to this.....
From the point of view of protecting the painting, I am not convinced that varnishing is of any great benefit. I have been dabbling in acrylics, on and off, for about 40 years and never felt the need to varnish. In fact I think one of the reasons I took them up is reading some-where, way back when, that they didn't need varnishing as nothing short of sandpaper would damage the surface. I haven't tried the sandpaper yet but my unvarnished efforts seem to have stood the test of time. I am intrigued about 'enhancing the colour' and having won a can of acrylic spray varnish from 'The Artist' I may well give it a go. It's the sort of thing that if it works for you do it, it it doesn't, there's no harm done.
Depends on what surface you've painted them on - acrylic on watercolour paper benefits from being framed under glass, but not necessarily varnishing. Acrylics on canvas or board - well; there are several schools of thought. One is that acrylic paint can get dirty over time, and when it does is hard to clean: the surface is rather softer and more porous than you might think. although that varies between brands; so dirt can sink in. And another is that, frankly, if the paint does get dirty, you can clean it with water and even a bit of soap..... as I've done, and it worked. Even so, I usually varnish, using an acrylic or removable varnish depending on what I happen to have available. This is on the 'better safe than sorry' principle. Matte varnish doesn't do a lot for the colours, but a gloss varnish will - and you can control the degree of gloss by adding just one coat instead of two. There's a lot of information on Will Kemp's website which you will find useful. He uses Golden Acrylics, I think - and uses an 'isolation coat' before applying the varnish: so it can get quite complicated, the deeper you look.
Thanks Sylvia, I will definitely get some varnish when I order some more goodies! Ellen, I appreciate very much what you have said about my acrylic work, I have now taken over the whole of our dining table with my paraphernalia and as we live in a small cottage.....well you can imagine😀 This painting lark needs lots of room! I think we need a bigger house or a shed in the garden like Sylvia!!!!
You can find satin varnish as well as the gloss and matte, I have noticed that there is be a fashion for highly glossed canvases in commercial galleries. But suck it and see (not literally)!
Loving your acrylic paintings Margaret. I too would recommend varnish as it does seem to brighten up the colours. And satin is a good compromise if you don't want too glossy an effect. And yes the paraphernalia does tend to take over!