Advice on easels please

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
I currently have an art-class type fixed a-frame easel that I got made by a joiner many years ago but, though great for big boards, the highest holes for supports are too low for using for canvases/boards etc - and reluctant to try to get additional holes put in in case it would damage it. Have a portable easel also but find it very shoogly - am looking for something more solid (but doesn't have to be too fancy) for use indoors. Can anybody suggest something please?
here is a wide choice just take a look
“Shoogly” what a fabulous word, I know exactly what you mean. And Pat what a great site with all those easels. If I’m in Sylvs Shed with a big canvas A1 upwards I have a big wooden stand up to easel that has a sliding piece of wood to decrease or extend as I need it. It can also be lowered so I can sit down at it. ( I usually do ) . If I’m at the kitchen table I have a desk top one which folds away in a corner when not in use . I also have a “shoogly” one which stays in a cupboard as it’s a pain in the butt.
Thank you all for your replies, these are all very helpful. Thanks Pat for that site - lots useful. Thanks Sylvia and Alan. For watercolours I either use the table (sometimes propping up the board with a book or too for a bit of an angle) or a box type table easel.. I'm looking for one for acrylic and oil canvases - I've got canvases up to approx A2 in size and my boards are pretty big - c A1. These are all good suggestions - I'll have a look online. Many thanks. :)
HI Fiona, thanks for the suggestions and for your very kind offer. At the moment I'm just gathering information about the different types available - think I need to go look at a few before I make up my mind. Also, it might be a few months before I do anything about it as the intention is to get quite a lot of work done on the house this summer which will mean space is at a premium. Thank you again for the offer - it is much appreciated. Maggy
Maggy, I would definitely recommend the David Potter Easel for outside (& inside !) use. They are about £140 but are very sturdy & would be equally useful for Watercolour or Oils. The legs are actually 'Velbon' seen in photographic tripods. They can also be used as a table easel.... Mike Davies