funny how it goes.

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
I was given two large canvases by the late, and lovely, Derek Snowden. I completed one with my acrylic Labrador, and I am very proud of it. However, as many of you might recall, I was never convinced by acrylics and always wary of trying them. Well, I have even got as far as prepping another sheet of acrylic paper and having it on the easel, but the truth is I hate acrylics. I loath them. They really put me off painting and I haven't touched a brush in months. Well, last week I was walking past a cottage I have been by many times, but somehow the light was different and I thought, I just *have* to paint that. So, a photograph, a printout, a drawing and now, tonight , I have started work...in my beloved watercolours with my wonderful White Knights colours on some delicious, crisp, smooth as silk, deckled edged heavy paper. The acrylics sit in the corner taunting me...but I detest them. If anyone wants half used tubes of System 3 acrylic to try, drop me a PM...they're yours before they set hard. Sorry for blathering on... David
Nooooooo can't believe you hate them that much. Awwww it's so sad you do. Better to give them away tho than to let them go to ruin. If no one takes you up on your offer you could always drop them off at your local high school, someone taking GCSE art will put them to good use I'm sure.
If you don’t act on Jens suggestion David let me have them please. I will pay for them...message me. You will be missed to night it’s the exhibition ! https://www.facebook.com/events/358734508315497/?ti=ia

Edited
by SylviaEvans

Eee...... I feel your pain! We can't all adapt to different media from those we most love, and for some, acrylic is just a step too far. I hope Sylvia benefits from your disenchantment. For myself - I love acrylics, oils, and watercolour/gouache. I have a bit of a struggle with coloured pencils. I have a bigger struggle with pastel, though have always enjoyed working with conté crayon, charcoal, and carbon pencil. I think the big issue here is hoping or expecting that the new medium you're trying is comparable with those you're used to: of all the acrylics, I've found Chromacolour is best able to lend itself to a watercolour/ink technique, but I'm sure there are others. I certainly wouldn't try using Cryla that way, although there's a good, if rather elderly, Alwyn Crawshaw video which you might want to check on, if you haven't entirely given up on acrylic. System3 is something of a hybrid - I like using it with Cryla, but am less keen on taking a whole painting to completion with it alone. For me, though, acrylic works best with a bold approach, plenty of colour, being laid on thickly or at least strongly - and glazing: acrylic could have been made for glazing. Derek Snowden had, perforce after his stroke, to use card to paint with, and strong, basic shapes as he could no longer manage the finer details - and he achieved impressive results, which would have been extremely difficult to accomplish in oil, owing to his disability - and virtually impossible with watercolour, though he might have triumphed over gouache.... sadly, we won't know now. But if you've reverted to watercolour - don't kick yourself! None of us is likely to be able to master every medium, and we could waste a LOT of time trying to: I'm all for experimentation and trying new media, but not if it drives you right up the wall and back down again.
Talking of acrylics, I bought some last week having never painted with them before. Well, I've completed two paintings so far and am liking them - especially as you can paint over any mistakes! So very different to watercolours and coloured pencils but I like a challenge and am now on a big learning curve so I'm grateful for any tips. I'm studying YouTube videos which help too. We can't be good at all mediums so don't worry David, go back to the watercolours and let's see some lovely work!
Ha, I dont think I ever produced 'lovely' work Margaret but I enjoy it. I'm glad you like acrylics. You're right, I'm sooooo many ways acrylics are a great medium and they ought to be a delight to use. I shall keep my brushes...one never knows what the future holds. David