Random Questions

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Can anyone recommend a surface for painting with acrylics that might be the equivalent of watercolour NOT or rough? Coming from watercolours I’d like to experiment with acrylics in a fashion similar to begin with to watercolour, rather than jump straight to impasto. Maybe an acrylic pad what they call a fine canvas type? Looking back Robert Jones I see that you recommend Black Hog. Coming from painting in 1/4 sheet and maybe smaller to begin with in acrylics, could you recommend a few sizes? Thank you all in advance
For acrylics I use Hahnumuhle Britannia Watercolour paper which I get from Jackson's art: https://www.jacksonsart.com/hahnemuhle-britannia-block-300gsm-140lb-30x40cm-12-sheets-not It's got a not surface - fairly smooth which I find better than the rough version. I think 30x40cm is a good size, and the paper is not that expensive. You can buy paper which is designed for acrylic. I saw one in a shop last week it was by Daler Rowney and had a slight texture that imitated canvas. https://www.jacksonsart.com/en-us/daler-rowney-system-3-acrylic-pads-230-gsm-20-sheets

Edited
by keora

That's simple to answer. If you are using acrylics with a watercolour technique then you should use watercolour paper, obvious really! My favourite paper is Fabriano Artistico but we all have our own preferences. Use similar brushes as for watercolour also, I use the Black Hog from Rosemary & Co. For oil painting but they could also be used for acrylic. Robert will no doubt have some other information to pass on. Personally, I prefer to use and work with acrylics in an oil painting style, not necessarily thick impasto but not thinned down too much, I don't really see the point in that - you might as well stick to watercolour.
Hi Larry, I'm a little confused as to your end goal, but Keora has given you a possible solution with the Daler Rowney acrylic paper. Jackson's or Rosemary & Co. have a vast array of acrylic brushes on offer, you should find something suitable there. Good luck with your experimenting.
I use acrylic quite a lot these days for my abstract and semi-abstract work and I find this discussion of some interest. The point is made about 'watering' down acrylics which is something I do although not as generally described but, of course, I am not painting entirely representational work . I usually apply the acrylic straight onto the mount from from the tube and then with a damp brush I move it around and often spray water directly onto the painting especially if the paint is beginning to dry before I want it to. Also by doing an underpainting I can scratch away at the surface 'coat' to get interesting marks and textures with the underlying colours coming through. I am about to go out but I will take a few photos later in the day and pop them on here or in the gallery to give an idea of the effects I obtain.
I haven't had time today to read all the other answers, so apologies if I'm repeating things already said. But you can use acrylics on watercolour paper - you can apply acrylic 'gesso' to w/c paper if you want to, but you don't need to. I don't much like any of the prepared papers supposedly designed for acrylics because I find them slippery and non-absorbent, though there may be one or two out there I haven't tried, of course. But acrylics work well on Arches, heavier Bockingford, any watercolour paper with a bit of tooth. As for brushes, synthetics are probably the best - wide range from Rosemary & Co, but also from other suppliers; don't use sables, you'll kill 'em; black hogs were the late Syd Edward's favourites, and will work fine; in all cases, of course, rinse all the paint out of them after use.
I've just posted a couple of experiments in acrylics in the gallery - they are painted on mountboard as are the majority of my acrylics. I just get off-cuts from the local framer for a contribution in a charity box. Because it's easy to come by, robust, forgiving and cost effective I've never tried watercolour paper.
Larry - here are the links: https://www.painters-online.co.uk/gallery/art-view,picture_244196.htm https://www.painters-online.co.uk/gallery/art-view,picture_244197.htm Also I've just posted another one here in the forum under April Forum Challenges.
Larry, looks like you have lots of good suggestions here. My only one is that, I found W H Smith's own brand acrylic pads fine for when I started out with acrylic (and I still use them occasionally) - (and I am sure there are other own brand papers) - these cheaper pads are fine for trying out colour mixes/techniques etc before using beautiful expensive surfaces.