The Sisters, Trow Rock

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
I'm looking to finish this painting and can't decide if I should remove the gulls, or not. I have mixed feelings about them as a potential distraction. I'm posting here because the image quality is better for some reason. Maybe it should be in WIP. Anyway, I've always liked that touch of life in a seascape even though the main focal point for this one is the central rock and wave formation. It's also part of a series I'm working on, with two down and goodness knows how many to go. Any thoughts would be helpful, and any level of critique is welcome. Bri
First of all, it’s a beautiful painting. I love the movement of those waves around the rocks. I wouldn’t like to comment on the gulls, as when I paint seascapes I don’t put them in, but that’s my personal preference. I know Dermot Brennan, who posts on the gallery puts them in, and it’s become part of his signature in seascapes. I think you’ve got to go with your gut, Bri. Ellen
Ellen's right. I love the painting as is. My personal preference when I see landscapes is for some kind of life...people, birds, animals. But that's all it is, a personal preference.
Thank you very much, Ellen and Lew, for chipping in on this one. Much appreciated. I know Dermot's paintings, Ellen, and I fully understand where you're coming from. Good point! I can't escape the memories of my boyhood, when a trip to the beach meant gulls everywhere. My personal preference is to include some kind of life, Lew, and the sea is definitely the place for Gulls. Here's an earlier version without the gulls.
Gulls to stay in my opinion Bri, wherever you go on the coast you see them!