Number of posts per day

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 1 of 4
Dear Mods, Would it be possible to revise the number of posts any member can make in one day? I've noticed an increase in the number of people posting four art works at once, having the effect of pushing the less "enthusiastic" posters down/off the page. One of the unfortunate side effects of over-posting is a lack of feedback for the said artists, which presumably is desirable, (feedback, not the lack of it) which in turn could to lead to a lack of interest from new members who might mistakenly feel their art is being overlooked/ignored. If the limit was dropped to two posts per day, for example, I don't think anybody would be offended and everyone would benefit from greater and more meaningful responses. I know Rome wasn't built in a day but I did wonder, with the best of intentions at heart. Best Bri (Mackay)

Edited
by Beemax

I agree, two or three would be enough. Wading thought the gallery can be arduous and time consuming. I've resorted to just "likes on many occasions.
Not a new problem Bri. Whilst the site limit is four items per day, without a doubt the bigger/added problem is block posting, ie four items at the same time. It is a problem because working people especially don't always get the time for spaced postings, but it is also an unfair imbalance as has been said by the OP, items get raced off the page in no time at all. As an avid (and retired) painting and drawing enthusiast, producing four items a day often happens with me. I do however, try to restrict my postings to two or three most days. On the reverse side of the coin, I've had four items I considered a contribution to the site disappear like a puff of smoke. The site's very popularity is is also a factor. What the answer is, I know not, but things soon change and it's a case of being a victim of its own success.
My main beef about gallery posts is: today there are four figure paintings new to the gallery posted in rapid succession. There is no artist's name with them and no detail about the artist if you go in for a closer look. Surely, if you want to be anonymous then don't post a load of stuff

Edited
by alang23

I would certainly agree with restricting to one or two posts per day for all the reasons given above. I make single posts at irregular intervals but usually view the gallery once a day but only the first, and very occasionally the second, page as I don't have time to scroll through four or five pages. I suspect I miss good posts as a result.
As Alan says, we have had this discussion a number of times. But I too would, once again, like to add my voice in favour of one posting a day. It is a shame that it is necessary but we do get too many bouts of 4 a day, every day, often with the blatant intent of using the gallery as free advertising of paintings for sale. Like many, when I was a newbie, I wanted to post paintings I had done in the past, but I limited myself to one a day - because I wanted some honest feedback. All I can say is that it worked for me. A quick and not verified check on yesterday shows 79 postings by 49 artists. 7 people posted 4, 3 people posted 3 and 2 people posted 2. The vast majority (37) only posted one. So one a day is hardly a hardship for most people. One a day would still have meant 49 postings, but that is almost a 40% reduction over what was posted. I would however still miss Jim's postings, we can hardly accuse him of abusing the site.
We are making some changes this year - I will put the suggestion to the team and see what everyone thinks.
I am a Leisure Painter and tend to post about once a week. It can be difficult to follow artists whose work you like when they can be easily missed if you can't browse every day. I think a restriction on the number of post per day would be a good idea.
"We are making some changes this year - I will put the suggestion to the team and see what everyone thinks." Thank you very much for that, Admin person, for the informative reply. It's very much appreciated and judging by the response to this question I think many of us will be very interested in the outcome. Paintersonline is a marvellous site and it's worth saying that it's a superb facility for artists practicing at any level, so the appreciation is genuine. All the best Bri (Mackay)
Going to add a word of caution ( if I may) before getting carried away and making any drastic site changes. As a single voice speaking only personally, this is also nothing more than an opinion like anyone else, but I fight my own case and will always abide by site rules.: 1.This is a highly successful and enjoyable website and (based on running and being admin on a couple of like sites (I still am admin on one of them though neither are art sites) once members are lost, they rarely if ever come back. The site success is pretty obviously based on member satisfaction in the main with how the site currently is. Proof of the pudding etc....If it ain't broke.....etc. 2. The four per day posters ( yes, I was one of them and an exception in that I did it a lot) are not in the majority and rarely the same people. Who but a fanatic ( Yes, that was me but now I stick to two mainly) ) does that every day? 3. Some people post to sell their work again, are in the minority. They rarely stay long and are best ignored. 4. Why do people post at all? Those who do are creating a free gallery daily for members (including those who view often and post little) . Nothing wrong with either, but be careful what you wish for...as the saying goes...) As Omar Khayyam said: "One thing is certain and the rest is lies, A flower once blown forever dies! " 😆 5. If the rules change, it has to be not less than two per day for me or what's the point of being here at all. Whilst I agree everyone is equal, pandering to a section that want less doesn't seem fair at all. Sorry if that causes offence, it isn't meant to. Currently, we have a four limit and halving that seems very harsh. Any less is totally unfair. As ever, just a view.
As with all things the best way forward is often compromise. I don't think that two posts per day represents any form of draconian sanction, but more a move towards fair play all round. A fair shake of the dice is a reasonable request, in my humble opinion, where every member gets an equal chance to be seen and heard. However, it is only a request and not a crusade. Bri
I would just like to add my agreement with those who would like the number of posts reduced, say two maximum. For the reasons that you have already stated (so I won't repeat them). And yes, I would miss Jim! But I think it would be fairer overall.
Showing page 1 of 4