metallic gold for finishing touches to dried oil painting?

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
I have been experimenting with gold leaf and oil painting, I would like to finish off with some kind of metallic gold drizzled over the top of the dried paint, would anyone know what would be suitable for that purpose, I was thinking of buying liquid leaf as the other kinds if gold paint i'v found seem to be acrylic based.
The chances of getting anything to stick to dried oil paint is remote, it wasn't designed for that. It will simply come loose eventually, even gold leaf. If you wanted to go down that route you need to switch medium, gouache or something along those lines. It's highly unlikely that anyone on here has any experience of working with gold on oil paints, but I've been wrong before.
I have seen it done before. This website be of help. https://nancyreyner.com/prepare-gold-leaf-oil-painting/ Alan Morris
Hi and thank you for your replies, I have used gold leaf under oils. As long as an oil based size (e.g. Japan gold size) is used it works fine, my first attempt was a mess, it looks a lot easier than it is. As for drizzling gold over the top, it looks like I will be giving that a miss unless as you say I change the medium to say acrylic where there seems to be so much more choice but unfortunately i'm not an acrylic fan.