March forum challenge

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 1 of 4
I know it's still February, but we are just about to print the April magazines and the fabulous juxtapositions seem to be fizzling out, so here is your March challenge - Paint or draw a bird or animal in motion. You could follow Marie Antoniou's demo here <ahref="https: www.painters-online.co.uk="" techniques-and-tips="" view,animals-in-motion-paint-a-tern-in-flight-with-marie-antoniou_16491.htm"="">https://www.painters-online.co.uk/techniques-and-tips/view,animals-in-motion-paint-a-tern-in-flight-with-marie-antoniou_16491.htm</ahref="https:> or think outside the box and come up with something of your own making! This one might be easier than February but be warned - I have something quite different in mind for April!
It did fizzle out but what great fun it was, and some amazing entries. I did a couple, many did loads more, that will take some beating! This one looks interesting and quite a bit of a challenge for me at least - but I'm certainly up for it!
You do know how to tantalize - so long as the next challenge isn't a still life (won't do still lifes, won't won't won't: did 'em donkey's years ago when learning to paint, so many that I'd rather enter a monastery than do one again); but I wonder what it'll be .... my least favourite subject would be a horse: complicated so-and-so's, horses.... But the devilish depths of your imagination are likely to conjure up something much worse than that for us. Be afraid. Be very afraid.
This is my (first) entry for the March Challenge. Just made a sketch in watersoluble Quink Ink (no pencil drawing first) and then gave it a wash with clear water. I have so many idea's but I have to do some more research for those. Keep an eye on this space (lol). :) Mia
Superb work, Jenny and Mia. Great movement in both. I still can't get my head around the fact that it's March already.
A wonderful start, Sylvia, Mia and Jenny. I too thought of a silhouette, Jenny. My effort-
Okay so I'm cheating - this is one I did a while back. In fact it comes from a book of minimalist drawings most of which I've posted in the gallery in the past. This has spurred me to do a few more so watch this space as they say...!
Inspired by Sylvia and Micheal's 'one I did earlier' approach, I've been digging around in my stuff. I was surprised to find I've done very few birds or animals in motion. But here's one. It's a Lewaroo (obviously), but you don't often see them on skates. I now feel obliged to do something new.
You may have noticed my deliberate mistake...no picture. Ho hum.
Wow, so many wonderful entries for this challenge! I also remembered one of my earlier pen and washes. I made it for one of my granchildren's bedrooms. I know, as Michael said: it is a bit of cheating because it is not made now but I think it also fits the challenge: I promise to make some new ones too :)
I already posted one in the gallery. Here's one just for here, a line and wash black panther with the emphasis on movement.
I thought there were some great responses to the last theme but gave it a miss as I couldn't work out what to do at all! (I do prefer to draw/paint what is in front of me - not inventive) However, I love this new theme! Some great images already posted for March. I already have a few drawings and paintings of flying birds but decided it was a good excuse to do a new flying bird one - here are some gannets- from one of my photos.

Edited
by maggyn

Showing page 1 of 4