Shadow colour

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 1 of 3
For my last 'Rose'-painting, I used a mixture of cobalt blue with cadmium red for the shadow on the flower and to paint the branches. It was the first time I used this combination and I am rather pleased with the result. For my earlier watercolours, I mixed neutral tint with cobalt blue but that seemed a bit too greyish. I also do not like a shadow colour that is on the purple side. What colours do you use for shadows in watercolour? I would be very interested to learn :) Mia http://www.painters-online.co.uk/artist/MiaKetels
It varies a lot Mia. I tend to use a mix of some of the colours used elsewhere in the painting, made dark - usually got a blue in there somewhere. Also use Payne's gray and/or Sepial when looking for something really dark.
Did you find using these colours, together, separated in the tinting dish, Mia? I haven't used these to make a shadow grey for botanicals. The different hues of grey I use depends on the plant I paint, but I keep it to a few. Windsor blue and light red - this borders on the purple side. French Ultramarine and Windsor yellow deep- this on the grey side. French Ultra and bright red is also a lovely grey for flowers. I suppose its up to the artist, and the subject. These greys when used with varying tones on a specific plant can be amazing.
Believe it or not in my town and village scenes I have recently been favouring pure cobalt blue which, with my colour palette, works really well. I recall a professional artist, who took me under his wing,always advocated a darker mix of the same colour on which the shadow falls. In other words on grass a darker shade of green, on a road darker shade of asphalt (lol).
Yes, Carol, now I remember that I had to remix them in the dish because they were a little bit separated. Don't know if that would be the same with ultramarine blue and cadm.red. I must try out this in my next pen and wash. It gives me a project to try out all those different possibilities of mixing blues with cadm.red or light red and... There are so many ways to add shadow colour to a watercolour. I think it depends on personal preferences and if the light is strong sunlight or not. Strong sunlight needs sharp defined shadow. I have some DVD's by Richard Taylor and he gives his shadow a fading finish. I am a great fan of his work (my first painting hero) but I don't know if he still is publishing or making DVD's. Anyway, I was pleased with my mixture of colbalt and cadm.red. Thank you all for your nice advice. Any more sugestions always very welcome. They all will force me to make a watercolour with each mixture. That will keep mee on going for a few days (oh dear!). Maybe I can paint the same subject with everytime a different shadow mix. :)
Always a question, this - there was a painter who made a point of ALWAYS using purple for her shadows, irrespective of where and what the shadow was; to her eye, it worked; to mine, it looked awful, as if someone had gone traipsing through a landscape with a tub of purple poster paint and spread it liberally. I would usually get shadows by mixing the complementary colour to the colour I wished to darken, but the only 'complementary' to white is black, and that's going to look 'orrible. It isn't really a complementary, either. So, a variety of blue, maybe plus a touch of red; just occasionally therefore a bit of that purple, the yellow ochre or raw sienna you might add to that mixture would be to counteract the purple: the danger is of producing a somewhat mucky brown, so a fair bit of care needs to be taken, especially with watercolour. Incidentally, Light Red plus Ultramarine is likely to separate a bit, because both are granulating colours - if you don't want the granulation effect, which can look a little strange on a small area, use cobalt and ... magenta? Burnt Sienna - also granulates...? Plenty of choices, room for experiment. The one thing I wouldn't use, especially in flower paintings, is Payne's Grey - even the bluer Winsor and Newton form of it.
David - hee hee..... you've grasped that there's no simple answer, because, of course, whatever some pretend, there's no such thing as 'shadow colour'. A shadow will consist of a darker colour that you've already painted, plus a complementary, ideally. Which is basically just the same thing. So, you want a darker shade of green? Mix a red with your green; a darker shade of blue? Orange with the blue. A darker shade of yellow? A bit of purple. The only problems arise when you seek shadow colours for secondaries, eg purple itself, blue and red (you can add yellow: but it won't always work). How do you shadow white? There are answers to such questions, but you've got to read a bit to find them. On the whole though, since I can't hope to cover all bases here, if you use a a Payne's Grey and Raw Umber mix for all your shadows, as suggested by Anth above, yes, you'll get a dark colour; and that can work; but ..... it won't always; and in given circumstances, it'll look dingy. It requires a great deal of skill to make that mix look convincing in a painting - and so will using pure purple, or cobalt blue, to indicate shadow as some suggest. The answer usually lies in a mix of the complementaries, sometimes with a bit of strengthening- but whatever you do, it's always repaid by thinking about it first rather than resorting to a standard mix.
so wonderful to see you all again , Robert ,Mia ,and every one, I am so busy lately and missed you all..but will make time to be here with you again . Love you All  Alan .
just done this  for the shadow clouds 
So happy to see you back, Alan. This is fabulous. Are you going to post it in the Gallery?
Lovely to see your super work again Alan.  Big hug. 
Showing page 1 of 3