March copy of The Artist

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
I've seen the front cover of the March issue, here on the website. I don't always buy the magazine (for shame!) because I had so many I couldn't move for them - but this looks especially interesting; a fantastic watercolour on the cover, and I really want to read the article. I am not a great watercolourist - well, deny this as you will: ahem; I'm waiting..... so (I'm still waiting, by the way...) I'm sure I shall benefit from this piece. Is it perhaps true of most of us that while we can normally drag an oil or acrylic round to doing what we wanted it to do, watercolours either work or they don't? Certainly that's my experience of them - I either surprise myself at their success, or disappoint myself at their abject, muddy, mucky failure. Anyway, the magazine is looking good, and I'm not on commission for plugging it, so happily recommend it just from the look of the cover.
I haven’t painted in watercolour for a while now, preferring acrylics and all the different brush strokes and textures you can achieve. Watercolour is not easy, especially if you want a loose painting, then there’s the danger of overworking it. The upside....you can move the colours around, and in my case hope for a ‘happy accident’. I went for watercolour in the beginning, thinking that they would be the ‘easy’ option! It wasn’t until I switched to acrylics that I realised how unpredictable watercolour can be. Having said all that, I like watercolour a lot and I may just pick it up again to keep my hand in. I admire John Blockley and what he could do with it and also the beautiful work from Anne Blockley. Ellen
I think watercolour is the most difficult painting medium and I have a folder full of evidence! looking forward to the March issue once I get round to reading the February issue!
There is something wrong with my computer, it insists we are still in January but people are talking about the March issue of the mag, and the February POL Challenge!