Painting Portraits in Pastel

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Hi all, Can anyone recommend sites giving insights into painting portraits of people in pastels? I am trying to venture more into this but realise it is surely more the realm of the professional artist, as the human face has so many expressive possibilities. At the executive level, I struggle with lips and teeth (well lips fine but teeth in the smile etc.!), and then there are angles of the human head (though I note that for portraits even professional artists prefer head on views than at an angle, in general, so maybe I am too ambitious). Any ideas or guidance gratefully received :) Many thanks Greg
I presume you've looked on Youtube. There's a shedload of useful stuff there; the Loomis and Reilly methods of constructing the human head are well covered there and will get you drawing the head from more or less any angle. It's difficult to do fine detail in pastel, so work l-a-r-g-e
Hi, We have a great demo by Heather Harman here https://www.painters-online.co.uk/techniques-and-tips/view,how-to-add-successful-backgrounds-to-your-portraits-with-heather-harman_15853.htm Heather was setting up an online pastel academy which may be worth a look.
I think you will get more responses if you acknowledge the replies you've already been given