Improving with age

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Do you remember, gentle reader (or am I imagining it.... quite possible) that a goodish while ago I asked oil painters here if they noticed their pictures actually improving with age? Well, I've kept a fair few oils - you COULD translate this as saying I haven't been able to sell them, if you must - and I think my provisional answer to my own question is "Yes". Over time, as the paint cures, and to some extent shrinks and settles, several of mine seem to have aged rather well - even definition seems clearer, and while this may be partly down to having my cataract corrected, I think it also has to do with something inherent to the medium: that when oil paint is still wet, and in the process of curing, there is oil on the surface, in the paint, that only very gradually hardens and sets. This of course is why it's such a very bad idea to varnish a picture before it's at least 8 months old, and preferably older. The paint is still moving at that stage - the varnish won't - the tension between the two, especially on a flexible surface, can pull the paint film apart, and you get crazing and cracking. That being the case, it's not really surprising if images become more clear and nearer to one's intention when painting them. Oil paint is a live thing - unlike my acrylics, none of which (some dating back some 50 years, seem to have changed in any way at all. Whether this means there's hope for some of my frankly bad paintings is another matter altogether - some of them are beyond improvement in the worst possible way: and I hide them. But I'm now convinced that oil paintings not only age, but mature - and find this an oddly pleasing thought.
A bit like old wine Robert ! . Not being a painter in “proper” oils I can’t really comment on your theory , by proper I mean all the linseed oil palaver and not water miscible . Though I DO often think that paintings in whatever medium , improve with not being looked at for a while and I sometimes get a pleasant surprise on re viewing them after time. Also the complete opposite often happens ... “ Omg did I REALLY paint that crap “ .

Edited
by SylviaEvans

I'm still a rank beginner as far as oils go, I've done so few I've little to base an opinion on. I'm in total agreement with Sylvia about looking anew at old paintings and finding you like them more (or less, occasionally). I do have an oldish oil that I spoke about in another thread...a 'copy' of a Renoir nude. A poor copy as it turned out, but I still liked it. Several friends thought it was my wife - she stopped denying it after a while. It got left in my shed when I moved, the damp got at it, and paint started peeling off. It's been inside for a couple of years, I think whatever is going to flake has flaked. I'm tempted to repaint to damaged areas and put it back on my wall. (In my old house it hung on the wall for about 20 years). I'm not sure it's improved with age, maybe it's just my fondness for it that's renewed.
Well if the painting is damaged anyway, you'll lose nothing by restoring it. Either it'll work or it won't. Just make sure it's dry, and clean, before applying any more paint. Interesting that it sustained damage in this particular way, though - there's so much variation in the rate of decay of oil paintings, depending not only on what caused it but what mediums (oils, spirits) you were using with the paint, and what the paint actually contained. I don't suppose you'll remember after all these years, but i wonder if you used a lead white - which can do all sorts of strange things but is essentially extremely durable - or perhaps a Zinc - which is peculiarly unpredictable, but has delaminating tendencies in underlayers..... Anyway, would you rather attempt restoration , or have another crack at the painting on a nice new board? I don't know what I'd do - would depend a lot on the state of the existing painting. Perhaps the wife would pose for you - I see the scene now: "Petal, I'm going to paint you in the nude": - "Don't be silly, Lew, put your clothes back on and stop mucking about!"
Sylvia and Pat - you could well be right; one can't be sure. But I always photograph my paintings, so can see (up to a point) how they might have changed. Even then of course, you can't get over the subjective element - such is the nature of the human mind and eyesight. But there does seem to be what I could only describe as a "settling" with oil paintings - especially if the paint was thick (and I have been known to lay it on with a trowel).
I would have used fairly cheap oils, Robert. Reeves I think, thinly painted, and I'm pretty sure the white was titanium. It's been stored inside for a couple of years now, so it's dry. I'm tempted to leave it just as it is, remove any loose paint, NOT attempt to repaint the missing areas, give it a good clean, and maybe vanish it (it hasn't been vanished before). It was meant to be a copy of a Renoir...it isn't a great one. I could make a new one. But it wouldn't be the same picture. The old flaky image has gathered a kind of history, it has baggage. A new one would be just another painting. Maybe this battered old picture will get another spell on my wall. If the scenario you suggested about painting in the nude took place, I don't think I could get anything done for my wife's ringing laughter.

Edited
by Lew