Finding a replacement colour

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Hello, I have the last bits of an old tube of Winsor & Newton Cinnabar Green Deep, Artists Oil Colour, it was only series 1 colour number 114 and it is exceptionally opaque, does anyone know of a similar paint with regard to the depth of colour and opacity, I use the paint for small figurines, alternatively if anyone has a part used tube they would be willing to sell I would be eternally grateful. Chrome green isnt opaque enough and I have just bought some Old Holland Cinnabar Green Deep and it is neither the right colour or opaque?
I don't use it, and you could spend a LOT of money trying out different makers' colours. I presume W & N don't make it any more (I've now looked: they don't) - for which there's undoubtedly a reason. In your place, I would contact the company and ask what they recommend as an alternative. Historically, it was a toxic and fugitive pigment, but has been replicated - to some degree - by a mix of Chrome Yellow (probably a Hue) and Prussian Blue in more recent years. It's like Sap Green, though - not in appearance - in that makers have their own mixtures but they may have almost nothing in common with each other. You can make a green mix more opaque by adding an opaque yellow, like Chrome or Cadmium, plus a blue - or perhaps another green. You'd be relying on the yellow for the opacity - the strongest blues and greens are transparent. I have just seen an old mix consisting of Indian Yellow (transparent - and anyway, THAT can be almost anything...), Cobalt Blue (opaque), and a touch of red - I've no idea what that would look like, frankly: but it was called Cinnabar Green - what it WOULD look like would depend on the proportions in which it was mixed. The only makers I've found so far who continue to market a Cinnabar Green, apart from Old Holland, are Talens Rembrandt, and Sennelier - of which I can tell you little, other than that I like Rembrandt colours, but haven't tried this one; and that someone over on the WetCanvas website liked the Sennelier Cinnabar. What is the number on the tube corresponding to the pigment used in it? It will start with a P, and may be PG-something. I can't find a PG114 - PG14 is Cadmium Green; PG15 is Chrome Green ... the second of these would be hard to find today, the first is, to my mind, a horrible colour.... but I suspect what you've given us isn't the pigment number, but a manufacturer's code: in which case, they should be able to tell you what was in it. Older tubes of paint don't always, or often, show the Pigment code and number. Trouble is, in short, Cinnabar Green is a trade name - variations between makers are likely to be huge.
As you've discovered, the pigments used in different makes don't always or often even have much in common with each other! The most opaque yellow i know is Cadmium - the most opaque blue (depending on who makes it) Cobalt. That would give you an opaque mix - but not necessarily the green you're looking for (you could darken it with a red, or even Viridian and a red. Indanthrene Blue, which I also don't use, is certainly very dark - but opaque.... maybe not. Mars Yellow or Yellow Ochre are opaque - particularly the ochre. But sadly, a trawl through my paint-box has not unearthed any Cinnabar Green. (Just about everything but..... including some really rather nasty greens bought out of misplaced curiosity. I wish you luck in finding the colour you're after - but you may have to adapt. Do ask W & N, though: they keep extensive archives, even now they've been gobbled up by yet another conglomerate.) PS: Among the pigments you've listed, the real missing link is the PY34 - no maker in this country or many others is likely to use it now, thanks to numerous regulations against lead.

Edited
by RobertJones

Prussian Blue is either transparent or semi-opaque, you won't find a completely opaque version; you could always try Pthalo Blue instead, but it's not opaque either. However, Yellow Ochre and Titanium White are. Be very careful with Zinc Oxide - especially avoid using it in lower layers of the painting.