"Cadmium free" oils

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
The Utrecht brand of oil paints has introduced a range of paints marked 'cadmium free'. I wonder why - all oil paints, other than the cadmium reds, yellows and oranges, are by definition 'cadmium free', so what's the point? Cadmium paints contain strong, opaque pigments that, so far, cannot be replaced. Why is this manufacturer claiming otherwise? Some say that Winsor and Newton are introducing cad-free paints as well - perhaps in their student ranges they are, but in the artists' range? What can possibly compete with cadmium colours? W & N have also introduced paints ground in safflower oil as opposed to Linseed. Why? Because it's cheaper? Do look out for manufacturers' gimmicks, and don't be taken in. They won't reduce cadmium content or change the oil used because it's 'better for the environment', but because it's cheaper. And I won't use any oil paint, or any other kind of paint, that uses this excuse for cost-cutting.
Very interesting Robert. Thank-you for the heads-up.
Totally agree with your interesting narrative Robert. Reference marking up paints as cadmium free is ridiculous. There is no point of course for the reasons you've given, other than a marketing ploy. In the main I tend to stick with Michael Harding and Talens Rembrandt range of oils, and their cadmium colours are the genuine article, and whilst expensive, they are a treat to work with. You can't replace the intensity of cadmium colours. I've never tried this Ultrecht brand and have no intention of using them. As for W&N using safflower as a ground, well I haven't heard of that as yet. I do use a few W&N colours in their artists' range only, blue/black being the main one as they are the only one's who manufacture this useful colour.
I thought this issue had been resolved after the EU decision not to prohibit cadmium in oil paints on environmental grounds. I don't use Utrecht paints but like Alan have a mix of W&N artist and Michael Harding colours so won't be experimenting with Utrecht.