Have you tried Strathmore Toned Gray paper?

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
I posted a small sketch on the gallery this morning, and Lewis expressed an interest in trying out the paper that I had used, so here is a quick rundown on my findings and the range that I use. Perhaps a few of you might find it useful. The gallery sketch was drawn/painted on their A4 Toned Gray Mixed Media paper. (It's American, hence the spelling of gray). It' a gorgeous cool mid grey colour, and has a very slight hair fleck running over it, but not prominent. Quite smooth, possibly comparable to an HP watercolour paper, but it won't take large washes quite as well as watercolour paper. As the name suggests, it's primary use is for mixed media, and it takes just about anything that you will have in your studio. This pad contains just 15 sheets, but they are 184 lb (300gm), so really hefty stuff and will take some rough treatment I would think. It also has a very sturdy back-board, so no need for a separate drawing board if you are taking it out to sketch. I've used this pad purely for studio work, but they also have the same colour grey, and also a tan colour in a spiral bound pad. These have 50 sheets and are thinner at 118gm (80lb), but still quite adequate for most media, washes would probably be an issue no doubt. The pages are an oversized A4, and there is a fine perforation so that each sheet tears off cleanly, leaving a small strip still attached to the spiral part. Same stout backboard and a great pad for taking out sketching, and for those of you who like to work on a tinted paper, as I do, these will take some beating. There is a smaller size available also, I purchased mine from Amazon, around a tenner each, a bit more for the mixed media. Well worth a try if you are running out of sketch pads and fancy a change.
Thanks for that Alan. I'll certainly try the 300gsm paper. I too have a toned tan A4 pad (the one you mention -118gsm). All my toned sketchbook posts come from that. I occasionally use a little watercolour and often use watercolour pencils in it...I don't go mad with the water and it works pretty well. Lew.
So you have more experience of it than me Lew, the thinner tan stuff anyway. If you use it, that's a good enough recommendation for me... I've been out and about sketching locally earlier today, making the best of this gorgeous sunshine. Took the thinner 50 sheet pad of grey with me to try out. Just used an assortment of charcoal sticks and white conte chalk (the square stuff), and created a dozen or so loose but useful sketches to work from in the studio. It's a fabulous base for charcoal, and nothing looks more dramatic than charcoal on grey paper, highlighted with white chalk, simply unbeatable. Will be giving the tan a try out over the weekend, a much warmer background of course, so that should produce some interesting results. May try some sanguine conte pencil with white chalk, another great combination on tan paper. I don't generally post my rough sketches, probably because they are rough!, but I may include one or two of these on the gallery next week, as some of you do like to see how other artist's approach their subjects - we all work differently outdoors, I work rapidly, throwing caution to the wind. It's only a piece of paper so why worry about failures!
Please do include some sketches Alan, I for one find it very helpful seeing how "real" artists approach their subjects.
Apologies for posting sketches already shown in the gallery, but as we're discussing Strathmore paper, I thought it may be of interest. Three of these pics were done in the 118gsm toned sketchbooks... The sketch top left is in watercolour, you'll see it's wrinkled...this is because there's another watercolour on the back of this page. It's asking a lot of the paper, as this grade is not really intended for that. But for my sketchbook purposes it's just fine. The pic top right is watercolour and gouache, and although you may not see it, the page also has some wrinkling. Had I made this pic on heavier paper I may well have worked on it some more...in fact I used this image as part of another painting on 300gsm paper...so I used the sketchbook image for working out ideas. The pic bottom left is watercolour, watercolour color pencils, and ink. The watercolor if not drybrush, was certainly 'dryish'. Very little wrinkling here...should I choose to, this could be framed, although that was never my intention. I would say it's great for pen,pencil, and water-color pencils, and will stand a fair amount of watercolour. So an ideal sketching surface. I should qualify this by saying that I may have a slightly different viewpoint on sketchbooks. I see them as a mini-art form in their own right. A lot of artists are showing their sketchbooks online, and I find them fascinating and inspirational. My sketches can be mere scribbles, or highly worked pieces that really should be done on better paper. I could happily spend all my 'art' time in my sketchbooks...chiefly for the reason Alan has given...great freedom, and who cares if you get things right all the time? So sketchbooks, like these Stathmores, suit me just fine. Lew.