Water Mixable Paints

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Can water mixable oil paint such as Artisan be used on top of a traditional oil painting that has already dried?
Almost certainly No, you would need to apply a few coats of gesso first. I may be wrong but Robert Jones is the expert on technical stuff and will put you on the right track I'm sure.
I wouldn't - no. We don't know what constitutes water-miscible oils, because the manufacturers won't tell us. So I'm afraid I don't trust them at the best of times. But to lay any oil paint on top of a dried layer is asking for trouble, and especially if you're adding coats that have little chemical similarity with those laid already. You can lay added paint onto a really hard dried surface, but if you were going to do that (and I still wouldn't) I would not use a chemically different layer: even paint of the same composition will not bind with the previous layers - in short: start a new painting!
That proves that the guy's at KB don't have clue and are simply guessing - it's common sense really if you think about it logically! Go with the thought's of Robert, he has a vast knowledge of paint compounds and its abilities.
The KB people are right to the extent that you CAN do it, and the paint probably won't fall off dramatically. They'd also be right that you could work water-miscible oils into your regular oils provided of course the first coat was still wet. But in the longer term, the risks are of cracking, separation of layers, and de-lamination - the more so if you're using a stretched canvas as opposed to a (truly) rigid support. I would not feel happy about selling a painting completed this way. Fat over lean is more of an issue if you paint in glazed layers - which you might do, but most probably don't, to anything like the same extent the old masters did: and that's where concern with fat over lean came from. Many of them painted glazes of twenty or more layers to achieve that glowing effect - this is much harder to do now, because of the lack of reliable, quick-drying whites. Lovers of glazing should try acrylics. If you just want to - as it were - tickle up an old painting that hadn't quite worked, you won't lose anything by doing this: it'll either work or it won't. But as a principle, I wouldn't do it. It's not the best practice - and if asked, that's what I advise people to follow.
No not over oil,