painting rocks

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
I certainly didn't find this one easy. I've painted small rocks in the past but not large. I started off with a dark shape a d proceeded to add highlights (I use acrylic). I then used a knife to add texture which got rather messy and I ended up using a brush to smooth things out. I repeated this routine for nearly every rock at least 3/4 times. I'm not particularly happy with this painting (too much sky, I really should stick the the rule of thirds) anyway back to rocks. any tips are very welcome. Thank you Alicia
It's a good painting, especially since it's done using painting knives which I've not been able to master. I've included a link to Kyffin Williams' paintings because he used painting knives and did similar landscapes. https://duckduckgo.com/?q=kyffyn+williams&t=ffab&iax=images&ia=images Where are the rocks please, I've seen similar formations on the Yorkshire moors.
It's distinctive and unusual. Rocks in acrylic can be painted in any number of ways, but the way I find best for this sort of thing is to layer the paint; the good thing about acrylic is that you can keep doing this to your heart's content. It sounds as if this is basically what you did - glazing, scumbling, applying texture with brush, knife, old credit card, spattering, repainting bits here and there .... as with so many things in painting, the answer is to keep doing it until you don't really need to think about it.
Beautifuland sureal painting D