Lot's Wife

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
This is my pencil sketch for a pastel painting. Lot's Wife can be found in Marsden Bay, South Shields, and I'm always surprised to see it's still standing when I visit my home town. I've been thinking about it for some time, ever since my other South Shields pastels, but never got round to it. I'm using a different paper, for the size, so I've no idea how things will turn out. I'm trying the reverse side of Crawford and Black Watercolour paper, 230 gsm acid free with micro-perforations, size 39 x 27 cms. I've used it for charcoal but never pastel. Mind you, my charcoal drawings usually contain some pastel somewhere along the line. It doesn't look like much but that's how they all start; a triangle of land, with sea and sky.
Well it's a great start Brian, look forward to seeing it progress, 😀
Thanks, Linda, for dropping by again. Here's the next two stages. I'm finding that the paper is looser and doesn't take as much pastel as the Canson pastel paper. No surprise there, really. Horses for courses but it is working quite well. I've blocked in the sky with a few clouds and introduced the grass at the top of the cliffs. Here's the fully blocked pic below, waiting for some detail.

Edited
by Beemax

It's not the best photo but here's the penultimate stage. A few more highlights and adjustments to the cliffs and pebbles, a touch more work on the sea and it will be finished. I'll post the finished painting in the gallery. Off to Kendal today.
You don't hang about once you get going, do you? Very impressive - and not as straightforward a subject as it might at first appear, given Lot's Wife has to compete with the mass of cliff.
This is looking really good Bri, I look forward to the finished piece.
Yes, looking good, will be interested to see the finished piece.
Thank you very much, Robert, Margaret, Sandra and Anth, for dropping in to comment. Appreciated. That's an interesting point, Robert, because I struggled to decide how to approach Lot's Wife. The sweep of Marsden Bay is compelling, yet L's W' is full of interesting detail up close. It's a kind of visual exchange when you try to incorporate both. Ultimately, there's nothing wrong with doing both by simply painting another version. *smile* I'd like to try an oil with this one, I think. I've finished the painting now, all, (first thing this morning) and will post it in the Gallery once I can get a half decent photo. (I could be some time) *lol* Best to all and thanks again Bri
Here's the finished version, for better or worse.
Thank you very much, Sylvia. It really is a lovely place to walk on a fine day when the gulls are nesting. The waves, sea, sand and cliffs seem to come to life. It has the added advantage of playing host to the Marsden Grotto, a pub set back into the cliffs near Marsden Rock. I often sit there for a coffee or two in the morning just watching nature at its best. Bri