Artist's statements

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 1 of 2
I don't know about the rest of you but I often struggle to come up with an artist's statement when I am exhibiting work. I look at other people's statements, some of which either leave me cold or have me in stitches, so no help. I came across this site, which is hilarious, so I thought that I would share with you... https://artybollocks.com
When my daughter was doing a fine art degree she had a statement on her bedroom door which read " The artists statement about his work says more about the work than the work itself ever can " . I firmly believe that the choice of frame is of paramount importance and can either be just right or can completely detract from the work by upstaging it , therefore my version is " The choice of frame around the artists work says more about the work than the artists statement or his work ever can " .
Well, I could hardly disagree more with the first statement from tracerman - I can only hope it's irony. As to the frame point, though - well here's one of mine just framed: t'is my brother's birthday present from me: I didn't choose the frame, probably fortunately, but the framer who did has, I think, certainly enhanced the painting.
A good frame and mount (if used) are critical in the presentation of a work and can only serve to enhance it - they can even make a poor work look acceptable. However a poor frame and mount can spoil if not kill a good piece of work. But the problem is that we all have different views on what constitutes a good frame. I much prefer a modern frame with square profile and, for me, a mount must be at least 2.75 inches wide. So as you can guess (sorry Robert) but I wouldn't chose the example given above which looks to me a bit dated. So where does this leave us?

Edited
by MichaelEdwards

Alitap, that site is so funny, made me laugh out loud.
Forgot to say Robert, that's a very nice painting.
sorry about my post above - the print on this site has gone so small and i am having a problem reading it - currently using a magnifying glass to read what i am typing - any answers? if i can read them that is.
It's not a mount, it's an inner frame. I agree that mounts - which I'd only use with watercolours normally - should be much wider than that. Brother chose this frame - I like it, but whether I'd have chosen it myself I don't know; it does pick up the colours and tones of the painting rather well (in my, and obviously in his, opinion: the inner frame was the framer's idea). On artists' statements - if I can possibly get away with it, I simply don't make them. Most of them are just typing - words, words, and more words, none of them meaning a damn' thing. If you have to explain your work, in my view it's failed - say it in paint, or say it in words, but don't use words to make sense of the painting. I suppose it might be a bit different for installations and 'conceptual' art - although I don't see why. I've never yet read an artists' statement that made the slightest degree of sense, and assume this sort of flaccid gobbledegook is what art students are taught to write in order to attract grants or galleries. But then - I've never got on with the 'art world', as represented by this sort of cod-intellectual salesmanship. (We're in a bit of a mood this evening, here at the Batcave; you get those days, when everything and everyone seems to be going out of their way to be annoying....)
Ah sorted - back to normal now - sorry about that.
Michael - I have problems with small print, but if you're using a desktop pc you can enlarge the script to your heart's content (Control & +); don't know what you do on they new fangled devices, which I don't use.
I went into the menu bar and used the zoom function which has put me back to normal - it did seem odd though as it was only this site which was affected. Thanks Robert.
Really like your painting Robert, also agree about artists' statements. Would far rather see what I make of the work myself. Where I have found them useful is with some types of mixed media paintings, knowing how they were produced.
Showing page 1 of 2