Food for thought.

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 1 of 3
Good fun to title paintings, but a word of caution. Google images pick up on paintings, sketches etc and exhibit them on relevant sites using the titles as indexes. I know my painting title "Penny Candle Bay " was original, but type it up on Google images and it's there. Clicking on it leads to this website ( a good or bad thing?) and there it was. The two Beatrix Potter inspired sketches I did today also appeared on Google Images under a Bearix Potter in Lyme Regis search. Fortunately, I had credited the original ideas to the artist, but it just indicates being careful in copied works to do like wise. Just thought it worth a mention. Be careful what you wish for, as the good fairy said. 😆
Fair warning Jim. I have found my pics in odd places. So all you copyists , it exposes the fact that your pics are around. So just recognise the original artist.
The collection of data without our knowledge is frightening even when one has nothing to hide.
Yes, it's all a little unsettling. I was recently looking up something about 'legends' (an interest of mine), I often use the image search for this...and some of my pics came up. Presumably because I've used the words 'legend' and 'myth' for some of them. So be careful about what you copy - I'd copied nothing in the examples that popped up. Makes you think you could make up an entire legend, and the internet might somehow make it real (as far as legends are real.) Lew.
Is it the same for Google images? I often use it to find images in a certain style or on a particular subject. Do artists pay to have their own work come to the top of the list?
John, thank-you for your explanation. What search engine do you use instead of Google? I believe Microsoft has stopped supporting Explorer? A number of the sites I use stopped working with Explorer so had to switch to Chrome to use them (and then some others won't work with Chrome!). I have read that Firefox isn't satisfactory but don't know how true that is.
Thank-you Pat. You might be able to answer this one. A few weeks ago, there was a message that routinely appeared on my computer and phone inviting me to "say OK Google". I didn't, and it has finally given up on me as I haven't seen that message for a while. If I had said OK what would that have given Google permission to do? I might give Firefox a go, at least in those cases where I have a problem with Chrome.
Sandra, you can ask your phone to find out things for you, it's the google assistant. You need to press the little microphone on the right hand side of the google bar and say 'ok google' what's the weather like in London? instead of typing in your question. My little great nephew is autistic and he loves looking at very odd things and he's always asking google to find something for him, keeps him happy anyway!
Margaret has answered this one, she has given the same answer that I was about to. It may be called 'Cortana', a useful addition to look up stuff on Google without typing.
Try DuckDuckGo search engine. They are supposed to be up with it on privacy. There is also IxQuick, now called StartPage.com; likewise up with it on privacy. DuckDuckGo has a section called privacy Essentials, worth looking into. There is another system called Blur which helps to mask email addresses and even credit card numbers. Folk can also go the whole hog and install VPN, which changes your IP address to another area or another country. But since this is an art forum, I wouldn't want to bore people to death with technical stuff. I use Firefox browser, it's generally fine. Chrome is Google's baby.
Margaret, Alan, Oilydust, thank-you very much for all the info. I'll look into some of the features you've mentioned. Unfortunately I don't have a helpful young family member who is up with all this stuff, however a few of the high schools give a very useful service, based in the local branch library, where senior students who are studying IT come along one lunch time a week to help out dinosaurs like me. I might go along and have a chat.
Thanks John, I'll look at DuckDuckGo (stupid title might have been chosen as it is hard to forget!). I don't get bombarded with ads though, have AdBlock although appears to be attached only to Chrome, and the scam-type emails seem to get caught by my ISP.
Showing page 1 of 3