Too much detail

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
I would love to leave something for the imagination to fill in but as you can see from my last piece (Stormy Birling Gap) I can't help but fill the canvas to the edge. So whilst this is an ok painting, it's not what I set out to do. I tried painting with a pallet knife for the London skyline and I'm not joking I found myself using a flat screw driver. Any tips? I'm open to suggestion. Thank you Alicia
Both are very good paintings but I understand your pain, What happens if you set yourself a time limit?
Or just accept that you make wonderful paintings!
I don't believe it's easy - and I'm not sure it's even possible - to decide that you're going to change your style. Style is something that develops over time, and changes the older we get or at least the longer we paint. My advice to you therefore is - just keep painting; don't try to force yourself into a change you're not ready to make. I've tried it before now, and failed utterly - but the more work you do, the more you'll change, subtly probably, over the years.
Totally agree with Robert BUT do as I did. Although my style continually develops I felt as if I wanted another challenge so I tried abstracts (in acrylic ink) which have taken on a life of their own. I feel certain it has helped my primary art form (more traditional watercolours) and adds a new dimension to my hobby. But don't abandon your primary interest and watch it develop - don't try to change it for another style . Anfd why has the font changed - probably natural development. LoL

Edited
by MichaelEdwards

Your paintings are great Alicia, they just need Status Quo sending out "Margarita Time" or the excellent Disturbed version of "Sound of Silence" recommended on here, on good volume. That should solve the problem . (-:
Hi Alicia, I have been been painting for over forty years and have often tried to change my style, but found I always come back to the the same old same old. Your paintings are great as they are and I think you have developed a style which you should stick with and keep on developing, regards, Ray Perez
I love your paintings they are stunning. Great work. I can only hope I can paint like that oneday. Xx