Varnishing/staining picture frames

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Can anyone recommend a suitable make of varnish or stain for making this picture frame a warmer, mid tone colour? The wood is natural obeche which has a nice grain although the colour is too cool and pale for my taste : I bought the frame from Jacksons Art, it arrives in four sections with four pegs which you use to connect the four corners. Easy to do and not too expensive. https://www.jacksonsart.com/frame-builder
Yes I agree it looks too pale and dosent do your pic any favours . Any wood stain would work and there are some lovely soft colours . Or paint it in acrylic . Or just use a wood varnish. Or I would prefer rub in a clear wax polish , several options . You could have a go on a bit of the frame at the back. Or,or ,or . lol.
This looks like polished wood - if you were going to stain it you'd need to strip the wax off, as neither varnish nor stain could be relied on to take. You could end up with horrible strips. If in doubt, take the picture out of this frame and use it for something else - then buy a darker frame next time, or a plain wood which can more easily be painted and stained. Take a look at Ashcraft Framing. Maybe a tone lower would benefit this painting, although I have no problem with the frame as it is - you could always use a darker wax, and polish it: many are available.
That sounds promising Keora, and should do the trick. Nice painting by the way, great use of the dreaded greens! To me it doesn't look out of place in that frame but a warmer tone will be good also.