WIP since 2016

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Brian got me thinking about a 1metre square canvas which I have painted over twice and now hangs ready to be continued with( the previous two versions are in my gallery if you're interested, "Down to the sea" 2015, and "More or less finished"2016 - except it isn't😏). I have it in mind to paint a beach with the marks left when the tide has gone out. I want to concentrate more on textures than realistic marks but I do find this difficult. This is my starting point - I could go anywhere from here,and, knowing me, I probably will. This also answers one of the frequently asked questions " what do you do with your old canvases? Ps the i pad has warped the horizon line .
Looks super to me, Marjorie...I shall watch with interest.
I love those wispy clouds, Marjorie, and the sky in general. Actually, as Lew said, this looks good already. BUT you're not happy with the foreground and unhappy definitely means you'll "finish" this at some point. I read an article recently that said the painter should know what they want to do and how to do it. Well, that was me told, because I often find that paintings develop and grow in the painting. Sometimes I have a clear idea and finish quite quickly (for me) but mostly that unhappy feeling keeps me returning. So, thinking about the size, I reckon this will be an impressive piece as is, given the tide is definitely out and the traces of sea in the depressions are clearly visible AND well done. It's worth noting that you've achieved some beautiful textures and lines in the sand already, but if you want to show the high tide mark you could include some lighter sand in the near foreground, and possibly up the detail (personal preference). No doubt you've considered including some action but I won't suggest kittiwakes. Would a rock or rocks help? Is there usually a seaweed line to mark the highest point of the tide? I know the North East coast quite well, from Teesside to Berwick, and one of the low tide features that often occurs is the temporary low tide rivulets that cut and swirl across the wet sand. This could work as a contrast against the light dry sand and help to create a focal point. Would a sprinkling of flotsam and jetsam be too twee? If you want the wide open beauty to catch the eye would foreground marram grass be out of the question? So many possibilities. Well, that's my two penneth worth for now but I'll watch how you approach this piece with eager eyes. It really is looking good so far. Bri
That's good, Marjorie, very good in fact. The foreground has more in the way of immediate interest, and you could call this finished, it's looking great. Interestingly, I'm in the process of painting a similar seascape, 60 x 50 cms, and I've hit the same problems. What do I do to add interest, I keep asking myself. I was thinking about adding some distant figures, possibly some small gulls resting in the shallows, but yours seems more spiritual, other worldly. Looking forward to seeing where you're going to take this one. Bri