A Queried Pitch?

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Over the past four days, I have noticed one artist posting a picture a day. Three came with clearly indicated prices (and free shipping to the UK) but the 4th simply says "available". I hope this change has been in response to some intervention by POL. It is not for me to make the rules, but I dislike this type of posting. I feel it detracts from the community and camaraderie aspects of the site, not to mention the risk of being inundated with artists seeking free sales pitches. I am sure if POL wanted to get into the business of selling artwork they are quite capable of doing so, but. hopefully, not at the expense of the gallery as a showcase and discussion arena.
If they wish to sell their art they have come to the wrong place I would suggest given that the site is made mainly of artists who have no shortage of artworks cluttering their residences and because I would say there are very few art collectors to be found on a community that is mainly constructed around the practical creation of such things rather than the hoarding or investing in them.
Quite agree that it is inappropriate but I'm also sure they will soon realise they are wasting their time.
We had something slightly similar with a Russian gentleman advertising his late father's (wonderful) oils for sale. I'm afraid he succeeded not at all in gaining sales from this site, but it gave us a wonderful opportunity to see his father's superb paintings, and one can only hope that he interested someone in buying them - because they deserve to be bought, and would form the basis for a retrospective exhibition. But in general - no. Were I seeking to advance the sale of my artworks ( bargains on every counter, you know? Reasonable prices! Miss out and you'll kick yourselves [or I'll kick you instead]; your last chance to acquire a masterpiece [until I offer the b. things again anyway]. ) .... were it, as I said, something I'd wish to do: I wouldn't do it here. If we need new paintings on our walls, most of us could paint them, or think we could. Some must learn this the hard way, but let us indulge them, patiently, until they do. It does mean we get to see things which otherwise might be concealed from us. For better or worse.