Varnish removal

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Haven't visited here for a long time, just so busy, but I'm hoping someone might have some thoughts on this; I recently produced a couple of very small paintings in acrylic, on gessoed mdf board, and after a few weeks carefully varnished them with Winsor and Newton gloss varnish (from the pot, with a soft brush). The following day I noticed one of them had several small congealed lumps of varnish....and of course they're right in the middle of the painting. It's only 4x3 inches and very detailed; the little lumps are only visible at a certain angle in the light, but nonetheless I know they are there. I tried using W&N varnish remover to take the blips out, but it has had no effect whatsoever. Maybe I'm using the stuff wrong. Question then is: is there any way to improve this? I do wish now I had spray-varnished them and not brushed; but too late now.
That sounds a difficult one to solve. The size of the painting doesn't help, any "rough handling" will probably show up, with a larger painting I would probably try gentle sanding and a re coat of varnish. Re spray varnish, I just can't get away with that. The nozzle keeps blocking after each spray, even tho' it's been stored upside down etc - good make too. I much prefer using a brush. Anyway, good luck.
I doubt if a spray varnish would be much of an improvement, and I agree with Marjorie about the problem with it. These are small paintings though, so I see your logic - a quick spray in one pass would probably do the job. Could you take another look at the bottle of varnish you did use: is it a ketone resin? (Information should be on the back label.) If it is, then it should be removable with White Spirit, working carefully over the whole painting with cotton-buds to lift the varnish off - and being very careful not to damage the surface of the acrylic once you get to it: e.g. don't rub away at it too hard, having a piece of absorbent but lint-free cloth to hand to blot the loosened varnish away from the paint. If you succeed in getting the varnish off - and it sounds rather as if you were quite generous with it, or it would have yielded to the varnish remover (a gentler product) - then wipe the paintings down with a moist cloth (i.e. dipped in tepid water); then dry them; and re-varnish in a few days - but I wouldn't use a ketone resin again; Golden Paint Co and Liquitex, among others, make varnish especially formulated with acrylic. Finally, and apologies if this sounds patronizing because I'm sure you know your painting better than I do - are you quite sure that these lumps ARE actually congealed varnish, and not bits of paint that the varnish has accentuated? Because I don't think I've ever painted an acrylic yet (and that's a LOT of acrylics) without leaving small lumps in the paint that I didn't notice until I varnished them - other than those done in a very dilute technique on watercolour paper. Normally they don't matter, even adding to the texture, but in a very small painting I can quite see they'd stand out to you like a sore thumb. You can sometimes pick these off and re-paint, with all the risks that might entail (e.g. peeling). Best of luck with it - and if you go to the Will Kemp art school's website (willkempartschool.com) there's a question and answer page and he's VERY good at answering questions; varnishing acrylics was coming up a lot, when I last visited it.

Edited
by RobertJones