PURCHASING AN EASEL

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
I am considering purchasing a floor standing easel and would appreciate any help on what type and make to buy and what to look for. I am just an amateur painter who attends a weekly get together and would like to do looser, larger paintings and get out of my comfort zone! Thanks
Depending where you are i have one you can have for a tenner. Email me and ill send details. David [email protected]
I never thought I would aspire to a a floor standing easel, it being hard to justify the price. Quite by chance a Cowling & Wilcox shop opened in a nearby town and I found a W&N Shannon easel significantly cheaper than the usual on-line suspects. Too good a bargain to miss. It doesn't seem to be on their website now, nor do I know how much you would get hit for P&P. I doubt they can match an easel for £10, but it that does not work out, it might be worth browsing the Cowling & Wilcox website from time to time. A quick look today suggets their prices aren't that different to the "usual suspects" and could be swallowed up if P&P charges differ, but if you bide your time you might pick up a real bargain.
You really can't beat a stable easel, and I say this even though I no longer have one - I use a sketching easel I've had for many years: I'm used to it, if I need greater stability I attach a weight to it (well: a brick...) and it suits my limited accommodation. But it can be very frustrating if you get a bit vigorous with the brush, only to find the damn' thing toppling over. I'm not at all sure that a heavier easel wouldn't take up less space, either.... So - good choice, and go for it.
The one I have is not the best you'll get...it's a bit on the light side but they are the ones that sell for 40 - 60 quid. I got this cheap so you can have it cheap... I don't use it but it was good enough to let me see whether I liked the idea of standing up to paint - I dont, so went back to my table top easel. But now I know! I and the easel are in Salisbury, I will happily post at your cost or we could possibly meet up depending where you are. Just say no if you arent interested...it's not hurting me by being here. David
It depends to some extent on what kind of painting you wish do, a traditional easel with a moderate amount of lean back is fine for oils and acrylics. If you want to paint in watercolours as well, then an easel that allows the painting to be tilted all the way back to horizontal maybe be useful. If a pastel artist some prefer an easel that comes all the way up through vertical to a few mm of slight lean forward so that the pastels dust drops cleanly way from the painting surface with less risk of accidental smudging. Tony

Edited
by Haas

Having had my large painting topple over face down because I was using a travel easel in the studio, I hanker after a proper, heavyweight studio easel!

This post has been removed as it violates our forum rules and guidelines.