Patching Open Art Competition - I might not be able to exhibit. V sad.

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Such a huge shame - the organisers won't let me exhibit under my artist/maiden name Georgina Potter, as they will only let me use the name that can take payment if the painting sells. Previously my galleries have never had a problem with paying me to my married name as they took me on prior to getting married. I'm not sure there is any point me driving all the way to Nottingham to deliver one painting which might not sell and which will not help me in any way towards spreading my name. I can't even use the Patchings marketing logo etc on my own websites etc, as it would be under the wrong name and people wouldn't be able to find my name at the show. What to do?!
That is sad Georgina ,it seems slightly short sighted. But I suppose rules is rules. I exhibited there some years ago and lovely as it was to be accepted it was a pain in the butt re logistics. I drove there to deliver it, I went to see the exhibition then drove there again to collect it . You are much further away than I am and the drive wasn’t easy even from here as it is all across country . What about having it delivered ? . Their loss as your paintings are lovely.
What to do - perhaps speak to the organizers and see if there's a way around this: they must have encountered something like this before. If in doubt, pick up the 'phone and ask.
Hi Georgina, I am assuming that you have spoken to Chas Wood. Both Chas and his wife run Patchings and he is the only one that can help you on this one, as he will have the final say on these matters. He is a reasonable chap to speak to but you've probably already gone down that route. As for the accreditation logo that has been sent to you in digital format, this is a generic logo and doesn't have any of the artist's names printed on. It just says 'Selected for Exhibition, The Artist, Patchings 2018, Open Art Competition', so go ahead and use it.
Thank you all. I could open a bank account but its an awful lot of effort for just this one little painting. I will see how I feel about it tomorrow perhaps and go from there.
HI Alan yes I understand about the logo, but there is not much point posting it all over my own marketing efforts in conjunction with 'Georgina Potter', if there is nothing at the exhibition under that name. I have not gone down that route as I have been told this by another chap called Matthew. So I will have to look into that tomorrow if I decide to take it further. Thank you.
I am so sorry to hear this Georgina as I think your paintings are lovely. I wish you success if/when you approach Chas as suggested by Alan. I do hope that this can be sorted, such a pity.
Dear all, I've woken up with a slightly more positive attitude with Alan's help, and am just going to go for it under Georgina Potter and deal with the consequences if it sells. I'm hoping by then they will realise its a bit silly to not be able to pay to a married name!! thank you for your advice, best Georgina
Mention he Human Rights Act and Equal Opportunities Act and point out they are discriminating against you as a married woman. You should see a change in attitude...one way or the other!
Any update?
Hello yes it was all sorted! They emailed me back the next day and said it was fine. Think possibly someone had seen one of my posts somewhere?!! Anyway, all sorted and I'm exhibiting under my artist name, Georgina Potter, which is fab. Thanks Gudrun!
Excellent bit of news - best of luck to you, and it goes to show how useful this Forum can be.