Boscastle WIP

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
I thought it might be nice to share this one as I may struggle with that dreaded wall, we shall see.... I started by sketching this on canvas with watercolour pencils the view is taken through the blue bells at a low level (kneeling down). A then took a few photos for reference, which I am now working from.....
I have decided to use oils, so I have used a turpsy underpainting, I am intending to use a pallet knife .....

Edited
by Lesley Hardy

If I've got this right Lesley, you have started the drawing plein-air and are now working in the studio using reference from your own photograph!. I assume that you mean a painting knife?, there is a difference of course, a palette knife is generally used for mixing paint, but can also be used to apply it as well in a skilled hand. . You have made good progress by blocking in some of the shapes; well actually, you have blocked in all of them! It can be beneficial to leave out any colour in this first stage, just using a turpsy wash of say Burnt Sienna will help to establish your tonal values throughout the painting, remembering the all important aerial perspective, or lighter towards the horizon. Then start adding colour on top of the Sienna, generally working the darker areas first. As you have already added the colour you can ignore that bit, but perhaps next time! You may want to use both brush and knife, that can work quite well also. So, let's see how it progresses from here. I would be inclined to work on the distant hills and gradually strengthen your tones and colours towards the foreground. The sky can be added last, that's how I work, but you must work in your own preferred way - nothing is set in stone.

Edited
by alanbickley

You don't need much explanation, the development of the picture tells its own story. Coming along at a rate of knots now - always quite brave to show a WIP, I think, because you can't be entirely sure it's all going to work: but even if it didn't - I'm sure it will - it would still be of interest.
Looking good Lesley, you're right that showing WIP is useful for others of us. Like Alan's very helpful advice.
Starting to take shape now Lesley, it looks a picturesque harbour and well worth a visit. Don't forget that aerial perspective that I mentioned, the far hills could do with toning down a touch, and perhaps less of an edge!
I like it Lesley.
You did so well Lesley, the finished painting looks so good!