Ivory Black - drying time and over-painting

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Hello I am new to painting in general and oils in particular. Reading about the subject, I have come across the assertion that Ivory Black should not be used under other colours because it dried slower and, therefore, any other paint on top would crack. As the book is from the 80s, and given that some beginner sets, for example, contain Ivory Black while others don't, I was curious whether this is still true or whether technical developments over the past 30 years have changed that. Many thanks for your input
Ivory Black, also known as Bone Black, is a slow drier - painting over it is always going to be risky, and I wouldn't do it. If you want a dark in the early layers of your painting (if you do paint in layers) then a mix of Ultramarine and Burnt Sienna, or Ultra and Burnt Umber, would be a better bet than a tube black. But if you really need a black in those early layers, try Mars Black instead, or Blue Black. You'll find Ivory Black in many sets of oil paints because it's cheap to make, so keeps the price of the package down. If using it anywhere as part of the upper layers, be careful not to add too much (or preferably any) extra oil to it, as it can separate and 'creep'. leaving you with a surface that's hard to disguise or repair. I speak from bitter experience.
I can endorse Roberts comments and add that you might find ivory black useful for mixing, particularly with lemon yellow for dark greens.
If you are new to oils I would recommend Robert's book on oil painting which is available in electronic format on Amazon. Covers the basics in a very easily understood and readable style.
Wow, what fantastic replies. Thank you ever so much. Assuming that 'Robert's book' means the gentleman above, Robert Jones, I'll have a look straight away. Having said that, one thing is for sure, I will keep well clear of Ivory Black. Pierre Meunier