Looking for a Critique

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Hey All, New to the forum and looking to make some friends and join more of an online art community. I picked up painting about 4 years ago, but never really tried doing any realist type stuff until this year. This is a liquor store in my neighborhood. I took the photo reference back in December, during the holidays. This is 16x20. Thanks! Here is link to a higher quality photo of the painting: https://imgur.com/a/EI9bz#dl9L7n3

Edited
by CarCoop

You have devoted as much love and attention to painting the Liquor sign as I would pay to drinking it - I don't think I have any critique at the moment at least, but it would be interesting if you gave us some information about your method and materials. In the meantime - welcome!
Thanks Robert, The painting is based off of this photo I took in December (below). I first sketched this out on a white stretched canvas with pencil, making sure to keep all my marks relatively light, so that I could easily paint over them. All painting was done using acrylics. I only have 7 colors the I mix from, ultramarine blue, alizarin red, burnt umber, cad yellow, titinium white, buff white, and Black. Certain colors were definitely a challenge to mix and then mix again after the paint had dried. I didn't really have a method to painting as i'm very new at painting this style. I didn't go dark to light with objects pictured. I just picked an object and painted it and then moved onto the next object. The painting itself took 2 months, I would paint before work each day, take a picture of my progress and blow the picture up on the computer to try and self critique each day.

Edited
by CarCoop

Welcome. I think you did a good job, the only possible critique I can think of is the the composition is hardly exciting with everything straight on and centralized. This is OK and necessary if for instance you were commissioned with the sole purpose of illustrating the shop for the owner but as a piece of art maybe more interesting if drawn from an angle to give some depth and perspective. Its just a thought and I am not expert in such things but might be worth consideration.
It's an interesting picture, painted to a high standard. Where was the photo taken? The subject is flat, with very little depth. But it's a shop front and that's to be expected. Perhaps adding a passer by, or somebody looking in the window might help. The draw back to adding extra detail at the last minute (at least when I've tried it) is the additions can look unconvincing.
Firstly, I much prefer your posting on the gallery yesterday. That's because you have kept to a single style, in that instance, more illustrative or graphical. Here we have a mixture of two styles, a painting of two halves in essence. Illustrative on the top which I like, very fussy and detailed style on the bottom (it needs simplifying) - the two don't gel together for me. I'm fine with the head-on approach, no issues there, but to give it a more three dimensional look you need to concentrate on the shadows. Shadows are the key to establishing a good solid foundation and need to be strong and simple. It's quite obvious that you have attempted to copy the photograph exactly, and clearly you have achieved that aim. For me this exact copy just hasn't improved on what is a very average photograph - a bit of artistic and creative input would have helped. This is my personal view of course, and you did ask for critique. Others will see things differently.
Thanks all for the comments and Alan for your critique. I feel like you nailed how I'm feeling about it. I don't so much appreciate the detailed-ness off the store front. I feel like I should have painted the reflection and kept it simple as you said. Thanks for the comments. I definitely appreciate any critique, as i'm trying to improve and make better stuff.
I agree Marjorie, I was more referring to the previous posting he made on the gallery, much more simple in design.
Yeah, i'm from the states. Actually raised in an area somewhat near where Hopper grew up. Really been into Hopper lately too.