The colour of lavender

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
I want to paint a field of lavender. My style is loose wet into wet, and I like vibrant colours. Any one have any suggestions as to what colours I could use, or mix, to portray the lavender colour? Many thanks.
Permanent Rose/Quinacridone Violet/Quinacridone Magenta, and genuine Cobalt Blue, preferably not the Hue stuff. Introduce variety with a little French Ultramarine.
If not cobalt blue hue, and can't afford the real stuff, what other blue would work (apart from French ultra).
Try using a small amount of violet and dropping it in some accrylic white till you get the shade you're after. Course, if you want to paint for posteriy, it won't be true watercolour. Just something I'd try.
I do know of an artist who uses watercolour with acrylic - forgotten his name, sadly. But for most of us, I think Syd is right - this could turn quite nasty very quickly. Much depends on the proportions used, and on keeping two pots of clean water (and preferably three) to hand. Does the painter also known as The Devon Artist (his name just escapes me at the minute) who has had some articles in the magazines, not use a combination of acrylic and watercolour? He has a very precise technique with it; it can work, and work well - but it's the precision of the technique that may well be the key here: it's not something I'd steam into without careful pre-planning.
Blubells aren't, strictly speaking, blue are they? Sneaky little beggars....
Apropos of not much,( this topic to blame,) Johnson's Lavender Wax Polish is one of my favourite scents on earth (along with Wrights Coal Tar soap and Aqua Velva aftershave...sorry about that ) I seem to remember it being a very light pale colour but not sure if it's still sold. The point is, as someone already remarked, there are so many shades and options to go at that one explanation will hardly suffice. Much the same in all painting, artist's choice. .

Edited
by Wanderer69

I'm looking for a good aftershave - that doesn't cost me the price of a new house. I am modestly bearded and moustachio'd but still like to apply a splash of seduction-water; if the one you're recommending here drives them away in droves rather than encouraging them, I shall, Jim, be most disappointed.