My parceling paints has arrived...

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Just got home and found my parcel... Who wants to see..??? D
Go on then..... exciting .
Coo. Yes, get stuck in... no excuses now! There's nothing like making a serious investment in supplies and receiving the lot in a parcel - whenever I do that, I call it my present to myself 'cause I deserve it. In fact: I think I deserve a treat right about now - as soon as I've paid the electricity bill. I sense a drool coming on.
Don’t you just hate it when every pearl of wisdom just tapped out , vanishes..... they look amazing David. You will have a great time with that lot .. I did Chinese painting for a short while in Hong Kong and all the brushes were stiff with size so had to be thoroughly washed. I don’t bother much with “ normal” brushes but do swish them around in clean water . But then it’s so long since I had a new brush I can’t really remember .
Depends on what it is - a synthetic brush will rarely have any protective coating, unless it's extremely soft; soft bristle brushes, goat hair, Chinese, Japanese and some Indian brushes, are coated with shellac or something similar because otherwise the bristles would splay out and look bad, or worse break, in transit and display. Hogs are rarely coated as i remember, but it's a long time since I needed to buy hogs - I've had some of mine for at least 40 years. So it's quite possible your art-shop owner knew her business all the time. I'd worry if I saw anyone treating a fine sable like that - most are protected in shops with a rigid plastic sleeve: which reminds me, always time for a topical tip: if you do buy a sable brush in a stiff plastic sleeve, remove it and discard it when you get it home. Don't try putting it back to protect the hair - it won't, and in pushing it back you're almost certainly going to damage some of the hairs in a manner from which they'll never recover.
Good idea Syd, and done D