Sennelier acrylics?

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
I've just been into an art shop looking for acrylics and came across the sennelier range called Abstract. Oddly packaged but very reasonably priced. An I right in thinking these are student quality though? While I'm.on the subject, I cannot but feel sorry for local shops. The prices in this one were much higher than on line and the range far less. It's impossible for them to compete at high street level...i imagine an online presence is a do or die option. Whilst I very much wish to support local shops, when the price difference reaches 30pc or even 300pc, it's impossible to ignore. I will return to buy some materials, but alas not many. Shame because it's a lovely shop D
At £2.89 (online) for a 120 ml pouch these have to be lower end student / craft grade I would have thought ... Reeves acrylics are £2.50 for 75ml by comparison. So this Sennelier is cheaper... Seem to come in a mix of satin and gloss finish colours.

Edited
by Haas

Haven't used these, so can only agree that at this price, they're not likely to be top quality - and I share your concern for art shops: I don't know how they can survive unless art supplies companies discount their prices - which they have no commercial reason to do, sadly.
I've looked 'em up now, too - heavy-bodied paint, in a specially-designed container, so unlike most heavy-bodied paints can be poured. I'll try them if I get the chance, but am not an abstract painter (well, not deliberately) and don't pour paint - I know where most of it would go if I did. Sylvia suggests this could be an introductory offer, I think - certainly they're very inexpensive, and this may well be right. I wouldn't buy them if I were starting out, I think, but for anyone with a bit of experience with acrylics they look like they could be fun.
Syd, I can't find the thread where you discussed System 3 (which I can't get any more here and don't want to bypass our two excellent art supply shops by going online) and black hog brushes. If you don't mind repeating what you've probably said elsewhere (or referring me to the relevant thread) I'd be interested to know would these brushes be more suitable for acrylic or oil? Are they different from ordinary hog brushes? Better? If they are better I'll try to track them down.

Edited
by SandraKennedy

Thanks David. I've just re-read Syd's advice about the black hogs, will see if I can source these locally, one of our two excellent art supply shops might import them. I really prefer to go local before going online if at all possible.

Edited
by SandraKennedy

It really is very hard to avoid going online if you want the more out of the way supplies - Jacksons' art supplies provide black hogs, and much else; you won't find them in the average art shop, because they just can't supply the whole range of materials available: having managed an art shop myself some 45 years ago, it was difficult enough THEN = it's just about impossible now - the ranges have increased, online stores buy in bulk - the artshops simply can't compete, and the mass outlets like The Range provide a huge range of hobby products, but not artists' quality materials - or if they do, they hardly know what they're offering and you might as well, frankly, shop online and enjoy a bit of expertise which art supermarkets can't provide. I salute your desire to support your local art shop, but they're never going to be able to provide a range of discounted, high quality products: what they CAN sometimes provide is competent professional advice, but by the very nature of things you can't even guarantee that, frankly. I can't afford to buy from my nearest art-shop - I wish I could; sometimes I visit it and close my eyes to the prices because I really want to support them; but when there can be a difference of around £4 for a tube of paint from them as opposed to an online supplier - what am I to do? If I need four or five tubes of paint, that's a lot of money. And then, if they don't have the full range of colours - because it's just too expensive to buy them all in - again, what am I to do? I fear that small, on-street art supplies shops are doomed, unless they diversify - some may supply framing, stationery, pens and inks: if they continue to rely solely on the art market, I really don't see how they can hope to survive.
He's back! Wilkommen, thanks for the Christmas card, and I've lost your email address - hence no response. Excuse me for a moment though, I have to go and swat ********* spammers.
Phil - don't be strange, ducky! Return! Send me your email address in an IM (though I think I might have found it in an old file). I know you had all sorts of problems, but are you still painting? Even if you aren't, you have much to offer to acrylic painters, of whom we have quite a few. You, and Sylvia Evans (whom God preserve) were the mainstays of this Forum for so long, it would be wonderful to see you posting again.
In no particular order...thank you dear friends. Moses? is currently sulking...i'm freezing. Art? thinking about it, ditto drawing. Contributing here? occasionally in acrylic Robert? is there a PM here?
After posting yesterday about some implications of online shopping here I had a browse on Jackson's website (very dangerous, all those wonderful colours!). The brush offer certainly looks good, free freight on orders over the equivalent of NZ$40, and they too give loyalty points. Their paint prices look excellent but I'd have to factor in freight costs, sales tax here (don't know if they apply it yet on small orders, they certainly do for kindle books and are making noises about adding it to other purchases), and the fee we're slugged for currency conversion. Not huge but would add up. I can usually get medium to good quality paints on special, which could almost cancel out the online price advantage. And there is one local outfit (part of a large chain) which has a good art supply dept in one of their stores, carrying a few good brands, including my much loved Liquitex heavy body (but unfortunately not the full range of colours), they give 30% discount, even on sale prices, so that would be hard to beat. I'll certainly look at the Jackson brushes but may stick with local for the paints and canvases. Fortunately too the travel time and fuel are not the issue that it is for you, there is parking at 2 of the 3 places (the other you're driving round the block hoping!).