How messy is acrylic working?

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 1 of 2
As I compile my order for new media a frind has said how messy ecrylics are to use. With watercolours in used to working neatly on a table in my conservatory but if acrylics are very messy I might need to reconsider where I work. Should I start a studio in an upstairs room I wonder... D
For me they aren't messy, and I work in a most unorthadox way... I usually paint on my bed! There are some spots, and I put my sleeve in the paint and transferred it to my curtains but really all things considered I don't make a mess. I use a pallet knife and have been using a sheet of perspex as a pallet (glass would be much better I think) Acrylic dries quickly and so if you do make a mess you better deal with it pronto, and keep on top of keeping your brushes clean but I think it is quite manageable to paint in most places without causing mayhem... especially if you have an easel/desk situation. a sheet of newspaper on top and all should be well as long as you don't drop your brush in your lap or pallet on the floor (Because it is guaranteed to end face down)
I've never had a dedicated studio, probably too mean to acquire one. In my present accommodation, which is a bed sit with attached kitchen and bathroom (fairly grotesque, don't go thinking it sounds idyllic) I have painted for the last 17 years in acrylic, oil, and watercolour. The one medium I'm more careful with is pastel, because there's not much I can do about the dust, but the only time I've had any problem with messy media is when I dropped a bottle of masking fluid on my trousers, and that was obviously using watercolour. Very liquid acrylics will be mildly messier than heavy-bodied paint, but if you take DaveyB's precautions - you're painting ON your bed, not IN it, I trust? Knowing me, I'd drop off to sleep with a brush in my hand if it were the latter - you should be no more vulnerable to mess than using any other medium. And we all make a bit of mess - where's the fun otherwise?
Plastic tablecloth - good idea.
Ah, now the round thing with holes in I have...bought by a good friend. I tossed it into my box of stuff because I dont need it as a w/c painter but now I see she had prescience!! D
Acrylics are fantastic, go for it! I won't repeat the excellent advice you've already had from the experts, just endorse that if you take reasonable precautions (cover for table if you work on one and drop sheet on floor is a good idea as well) there should be no problems. Any "accidents" need to be dealt with fast. I actually find oils messier, seem to transfer paint from painting to clothes just by looking at the painting!
Syd, what a lovely tidy workspace you have! What is the black object in the bottom right hand corner?
If you really want to be messy, you can be as messy as you like. But there is no need to be with acrylics. In fact it is inadvisable to be as acrylic paint is a devil to get off and you may not be able too. whereas watercolour and oils are mostly removable apart from the staining colours. Best to get the Apron or a boiler suit if you are really messy.
Sorry Syd it was actually top right not bottom right, don't know why I said bottom right. On a closer look it is a large square box so likely contains art materials. And yes, I do get a regular visit to the optometrist although I get called back at about 18 month intervals. Eyes are OK, just said bottom when I meant top! Put it down to having a senior moment!
Thanks Syd.
I've always made a mess..
Even the non messy paints have toxic pigments so its always advisable to cover surfaces,hands and clothes as much as possible
Showing page 1 of 2