Clint Eastwood sketch

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 1 of 2
I hope this is in the right section sorry!
Post it in the Gallery section of the site, to get more attention than it will receive here.
I think you have done a decent job... though this is digital presumably (from the blackness of those blacks) as such I wonder if it counts as drawing. In my opinion the mouth is fine, the ear I am less enamored with but it is clear who the protagonist is. As Robert suggests the gallery is the place... though it is somewhat unpredictable, something I am pleased with and expect to get many comments goes un-remarked and yet some small sketch I do gets a heap of comment. Anyway if I see your name on the gallery I will make an effort to look.
Hey thanks for feedback so far! Robert im not sure it's worth putting in the gal. SydEdward whats wrong with the mouth? (see pic below). hey Davey I wasn't sure if this was classed as a drawing either but I can't find a digital art forum. I'm impressed with your keen eye RE the blacks & it being digi :=) I'd like to paint him with acrylic soon.
Hey syd, don't take this wrong, but saying "it's wrong" or "it needs some work" isn't going to help me because it's not constructive criticism, please elaborate how it's wrong? thanks =)
Syd I'm happy when people like my work but I'm even more happy when someone doesn't like my work because it gives me a chance to improve. We can only improve though when those people who don't like it say why and as you still haven't told me whats wrong with it I can't take your opinion as constructive can I.
When we are young we have plump lips, that's how Clint's mouth used to be, as we get older the lips thin out and now its like you have his nose, then the philtrum and then teeth with no lip in between. I think you got the lips dead rights, maybe the shadow around the mouth is questionable, but that would be more of a chin issue I reckon and if Syd had your brush he would paint on your monitor, maybe you could give it a click or two but I am not sure how you can improve it, did you use a reference photo? Can you see any differences? I have to agree "It's wrong" or "I would have painted an orange instead" aren't useful. So I must also correct my dislike of his ear with a reason... Eastwood has kind of weird ears, but the two parallel lines making a quarter circle look wrong to me, if you removed the outer one so that you has a simpler ear (ear canal and curly bit at the edge and no line in between (or a much reduced wrinkle between) it would look more normal in my opinion. I am sure you have looked at ears before, even if Eastwoods are a bit strange I would put in a more default one it would be less distracting. It's good to post on the gallery though, because you build up a portfolio there which is cool to go and look back over your work and sometimes people look at your older stuff as well and comment even when you post new items. This gives us all an over view of each others work.
Oh sheesh guys.....I thought you knew that was the reference! Original:
Wow, well OK, so I think that confirms the mouth is right, and partially shows you went a little strong on the ear (though its not the outer ring but the inner one which needs softening) its more a glint of a nobble than a full line. I didn't realize that was the original, despite I actually noticed the ear looked a bit different to the OP, it does confirm my recollection that he has kind of weird ears though... and shows how accurate you were that what you did overlaying your work next to the original one went sailing over our heads... we aren't used to seeing that done and it isn't the first time I got confused (your WIP I messed up thinking your digital was your acrylic.) I can see I will have to think and look carefully before commenting in future.
haha! your mistaken again Davey boy the WIP is acrylic :D I painted it originally using my wacom, now I'm attempting to paint it with acrylic but really struggling to mix crimson. thanks for the feedback so far everybody :)

Edited
by aya

Yeah when you first posted the digital in that thread I made a comment like you really learned to blend well the colour really pops (or something along those lines) it seems we are both making ricketts ^^
I think the problem is that the photo doesn't look like what we think Clint Eastwood looks like. He's now a leathery old dude in his eighties whereas the pic shows him in his prime. To me the face in photo, with the 50's mega quiff, looks more like James Dean. The upper left arm looks too big as well - it might be be right on a 20 stone Sumo wrestler but not on Clint Eastwood. Probably the photographer got too near the subject and the camera has distorted the relative sizes of the face and upper arm.
Showing page 1 of 2