Both sides of paper the same?

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 1 of 4
Hi all I paint on Saunders Waterford 200lb Rough and one side has the Saunders Waterford name embossed on it. Without really knowing or checking if there is a difference I have tended to paint on the embossed side. I can see the surface pattern is a little different. On the embossed side it has a more regular pattern, a bit more obvious that it is rough, whereas the other side is slightly less rough but subtly textured. My question is, would there be any difference on which side of paper I paint on? Is the sizing different? Cheers, Ian.
I've not used Waterfords but this is problem is not reserved to them. Bockingford (I use extra rough) has a different tooth on each side one being more preferable to the other but no discernable difference apart from that - both sides work equally well. Once you've decided which is your preferred side do double check before you make a start. I've only just made the mistake of not doing so. I've drawn out a scene in some detail in readiness for a demonstration I'm giving tomorrow night and lo and behold, I realised about an hour ago it's on the least preferred side (which has a sort of checked pattern).
Agree with the others - if there's an embossed side, use that. I doubt that the sizing would be different, but the texture can be.
This will look like a silly question but I've often wondered what NOT means when applied to watercolour paper. (I don't use paper so it doesn't apply to my painting). I've never seen a definition of it.
Not Surface - ie, a smooth paper, more or less.
https://www.jacksonsart.com/blog/2016/09/13/understanding-watercolour-paper-visual-guide/ All you need to know, from the premier art materials supplier.
I think "NOT", means not hot pressed.
As described above NOT and hot pressed are two different products. It's my understanding that paper is treated by immersion so both sides are equally sized in both NOT and hot pressed products. Certainly in my experience I have never identified any difference in this respect no matter which side I have used - the only difference between the two sides being a difference in surface texture/pattern.
Michael, that's my understanding too. Not Surface and Not Hot Pressed are the same thing - it's a mid-surface paper. Googling it will find the answer. Failing that, ask the makers.
To clarify matters, as Splosh has said, the term 'NOT' means not hot-pressed. We all know the difference between the three grades and each grade has its own individual purpose in watercolour painting. As to there being a right or wrong side to paint on, the answer is NO. You can use both sides and you won't notice any difference. Logic makes you select the side with the watermark embossed in it, but certainly on the 'mould made' 300lb Fabriano paper and other major brands such as Arches that I use, there is no discernible difference. I've got all three grades here in front of me and there is not one iota of difference between 'front and back'. I've just had a look at some 'hand made' Turner Grey watercolour paper that I bought from Ruscombe Mill in France, this does have a right side to paint on, quite a difference to look at.

Edited
by alanbickley

With any watermarked paper, the side from which you can read the watermark will be "the right" side, (with Saunders this is the same side as the embossed mark). I.e. with a paper that has any kind of treated surface, this will be most apparent on that "right" side. Which doesn't mean that the other side is unusable. But you might be like me and have an obsessively deep reverence for paper and papermaking and feel slightly uneasy when the watermark is not "right". And I too use Waterford for many of my drawings; it's a lovely paper; I like the feel and the smell of it.
always paint on the right side first, if you can read the text in the embossing or watermark that is the right side. When you perform your first miracle you will be thrilled that you haven't painted on the wrong side of paper. Use the "wrong" side for for exercises and practicing marks etc.
Showing page 1 of 4