"Paintings".

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 1 of 2
The discerning among you will notice I've used quotation marks on my title...a sneaky way to introduce "quotes" as a source of inspiration. On a pic posted today, I quoted Degas' deathbed words. Fiona commented it sounded a bit Spike Milligan. How true. That set me off into a rich mine of new quotes/inspirational material. I offer up a few of his quotes to inspire you all. "All I ask is the chance to prove that money can't make me happy." To Harry Secombe. "I hope you die first, I don't want you singing at my funeral." Hamlet to Ophelia. "I'll draw a sketch of you. What sort of pencil shall I use...2B or not 2B." "It was a perfect marriage. She didn't want to, and he couldn't." "I'm not afraid of dying, I just don't want to be there when it happens." What he wanted on his tombstone. " I told you I was ill." That'll do for now. You may be thinking that this has nothing to do with art...it does, I tell you, as sure as I'm riding this bike. I shall expect to see landscapes, still life, and portraits inspired by these quotes. I also expect that this thread won't run for long...that way I can't be disappointed. Lew
Oooh a challenge...
Another one was: "What are you doing there?" Reply: "Durrr - everybody's got to be somewhere." Read his novel, Puckoon - prefaced by the words 'this damn book nearly killed me'. It's far better than his various war reminiscences, good though most of them were.
So funny! Lew I'm really enjoying your quotes, keep them coming. I liked yours too Robert.
Yes, Robert...Puckoon...his best book by far. A few years back I foolishly lent my battered copy, it vanished into the wide blue yonder, and I forget who I lent it to. It's time to buy a new one. His army books were a bit patchy, but I still enjoyed them. He also tried his take on famous fairy stories, I didn't like them at all. He was a genius in many respects. I remember a few of his quotes, but he's worth looking up. One I do remember is..."All men are cremated equal."
Yes, Daveyboyz, sayings, quotes, poetry...all ripe pickings for inspiration. This post was just meant as a bit of Sunday nonsense. But already Jim and David P have done a couple of quickies in the gallery. Thanks for reminding me about his poems...I'm going to replace my lost copy of 'Puckoon', I'd forgotten there were prints of his poems...I'll get them too. I didn't imagine people would take this as a challenge, but feel free, everybody, if the mood takes you.
Lew I know you said this thread might not run for long but I could keep it going for months. Apart from my serious poetry I also write light verse in various formats: monostich, couplets, limericks at al. Anyway here's a few couplets taken from an early collection and, yes, I know they're not about art but even artists need to lighten up sometimes. He’s a rose between thorns or so he supposes but to all his friends he’s a prick between roses. When she rang me we made arrangements to meet but which is the other side of the street? She went on a diet whereupon she wondered where the fat had gone. Had a kebab with a bottle of beer the bottle of beer chose curry.
Enjoyed them Michael, keep them coming!
Michael they are just great, I have a liking for couplets like that. They seem so simple to anyone who doesn't have to think of them...but I should imagine they're extremely difficult. I'm in awe. Daveyboyz reminded me of Spike's poems, I shall be buying them. I seem to recall he wrote a lot for children...many as couplets...and they were clever and delightful. I didn't think this thread would run, it's hold on art seemed slight. But of course I was wrong. We're talking about sources of inspiration. Poetry is a rich source for that. With me, when thinking about what to paint, it's the idea that comes first...I'm painting the idea as much as the figures, the landscape and the still life that make the picture. Poetry is crammed full of ideas. Just reading this thread has already given me a few. Thanks to everybody for joining in with this little bit of Sunday nonsense...a bit of nonsense does us a power of good.
Spike along with McGough and Hegley are my favourites when it comes to light verse. My first volume of poetry I called Painting With Words, followed by Sketching with words, Then Etching. Art and poetry have so much in common. Much of my serious stuff does paint pictures in the mind and could be a good source to give artists ideas. Just at random here is a stanza from No One Sits At Tables: From serried ranks of scented pine the sinuous fingered shadows point to where the tired roisters sleep in quiet restful sanctuary behind their shuttered window panes and no one sits at tables. I did float the idea of some articles about the subject of art and poetry past the powers that be in the two magazines but they didn't seem impressed. Heigh ho.

Edited
by MichaelEdwards

Lovely poem, Michael. If I may be so bold as to present a short form verse of your original- scented pines... tired roisters sleep behind shuttered windows
Love both - if you can work out what appeals to the editors, mind - do let me know! I've edited things myself, though - it's not an easy job.
Showing page 1 of 2