Watercolour mistakes remedied

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 1 of 2
I made a mistake on a watercolour i am doing .I made a church spire too big and intrusive and I was mad at myself. I had a piece of that magic eraserstuff left over from a cleaning job where younuse it damp. So i drew a deep breath and made the eraser damp and wiped the top of the offending spire and it was a shade lighter so i gave it more pressure and the splre top was gone . i continued with the eraser rinsing and squeesing it and rubbing gently until the spire was gone without trace. I let it dry and i painted in the spire a good bit smaller. Has anyone else done some erasingwith this magic stuff on watercolour mistakes. ?....Syd
What's the name of the magic stuff, Syd? I've used a putty rubber, and bluetack (or whatever it's called) which sort of worked; and I've dampened the paper and lifted the marks out (very risky). I've used a plastic eraser - and managed to ruin the surface of the paper, so had to throw it away. But I don't know which product you mean.
I think its called Erase Away and you can buy it in home base, b&q, and that sort of home store. Its supposed to get rid of marks on walls and other (which it does brilliantly), but that is a genius way of using it Syd. I find watercolour so hard as you can't amend mistakes - this might be my saviour!!!
Oh wow, I need to invest! I didn't think it was possible either. I'm used to wetting the paper and pulling up as much as I can with a paper towel. Not as affective.
Sounds interesting. I've looked up 'magic eraser' (I expect we all have), practically everybody sells a version (B&Q, tesco...etc). Very brave of Syd to give it a try...maybe it was an 'if I can't save it, I'll dump it' situation. So Syd, I'd like to know the actual brand you used.
Syd, I use Frisk Magic Watercolour Sponge Eraser, which I got from Ken Bromley. Don't know if it's the same stuff you used (it's a white sponge), but it really is magic! Thoroughly recommend it.
I bought these Magic Erasers in bulk from Amazon a few years ago but did not use them very often for cleaning. I was painting the saddleback pig tutorial and my dark area was out of control. I was actually able to dial it all back with the damp Magic Erasers. I grabbed it because it was the only sponge I had here. It worked far better than any dabbing I was trying to do with paper towels. I am calling it a happy accident but I am keeping those in my paint supplies at all times. For some finer areas I snipped it into wands and that also worked well to get in small spaces. Yeah for the win.
I'll be down to B&Q tomorrow. My solution to watercolours going wrong has been to use acrylic paint - covers it over in no time.
I have a Prismacolor magic rub eraser. What amazed me more was its delicate rubbing on thin paper without abrading the surfaces. Hence, you can rest assured that using this one poses no surface texture damage for further coloring or highlighting.
Are we getting a little nod to a product here?
Yes we are this person posts often have a link to a site , I think both Alan and Robert have mention him before . I have reported his posts quit a lot over the last years or so. 
I have indeed reported him on numerous occasions - there’s generally an embedded link attached, although not this time!
Showing page 1 of 2