New Member needing a pep talk, haha

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Hello my name is Mary-Ann, my dream is to be able to make a living doing the thing that I love, art. I don't have any background in art and I started a bit later than the average artist so I am struggling with a lot of self doubt. I have also moved from London to Aberdeen and I am having trouble discovering a way into the artist community, which is much harder to do in a smaller city. Has anyone go any life experience that they could share to uplift my spirits? I'd like to thank you in advance for taking the time read my post!
Hi Mary - Ann . Welcome. You have made a very big move, but then you have moved to Bonnie Scotland so a wealth of beautiful places in your reach. Local libraries are a good source of info they usually list any groups that are around. If there is a Gallery I’m sure there will be , again go and ask. Art Shops the same . So join a group . Get out with a sketch book and people usually home in on you and offer advice or are fonts of knowledge . Buy the magazines The Artist and/ or Leisure Painter ,( you can have them posted or on line ) they also do another one called Start Art . Look at all the stuff on this site there is a lot but sometimes needs a bit of digging... there are a lot of people on the forum with years of art behind them so ask questions. Get out those paints ...and go.
Welcome to this community, anyway. I fear I know nothing of the art community up in Aberdeen, but doubtless there is one, and galleries to visit - there's a university in Aberdeen, too: does it have an art department? Libraries, galleries, keeping an eye on the local press, are all ways in, and the university might be another one. As for a career in art - there are precious few of those, and compromises usually have to be made - most painters that I've ever known make much of their income through teaching, running painting holidays, courses, getting taken up by the big paint manufacturers as 'ambassadors' or agents of the brand. This is not for everyone.... The first thing is to get to be very good at what you do - without that, you'll not get far. And maybe you won't get far anyway - I know you wanted your spirits lifted, but an awful lot is down to luck, and personality - if you have a big personality and the ability to sell yourself without inwardly (or outwardly) blushing at your own cheek, you'll probably make more impact than the shrinking violet. But always remember that violets have their place too - we can't all be vibrant sunflowers, trapping all the available light: and it's a perfectly valid choice not to be. I see myself more as your beautifully-formed orchid, though opinions MAY differ.
Well Mary-Ann, this isn't going to be easy. Many hundred's of artists' want the same thing as you and only a minute percentage ever make it. (self supporting that is). You have had some good advice to get you kick-started, just get yourself known, start with a small exhibition of your work and get the local press involved, develop contacts in person and online. Obviously get a website set up and join FB and the like. Artfinder is one of the better online websites to sell your work if you want to try that route, but they do take a hefty 40% commission. Basically, be pro-active and eventually things may develop for you in the right direction, but it takes time. Keep in touch and post some of your work on the gallery.
Hi Mary-ann, to give you some encouragement, I was working full time as a secretary, had no formal training in art, but started to paint again from home late twenties. I then hired a tiny space in a communal art studios which had open studios through which my meagre sales paid the rent for me. I then got picked up by two galleries from there, went part time with my job, and now I'm full time as an artist, although I do have to subsidise it and I do have two small children so I can only work from 9-2pm weekdays. But there is always hope, despite no training. I can't say I'm making a huge amount - its been horribly tough since Brexit was announced, but it helps us monthly and I could never get this flexibility and these narrow working hours from any other job when I have young children. Anyway, babbling away, best of luck - you can do it if you really really want to, I promise! best Georgina
Welcome Mary-Ann, as I'm not in the UK I don't have any useful advice (and you've had a lot of valuable advice here) but I do wish you every success. And enjoyment.
Having elevated the hobby (Classical Guitar) to become a career, nine years ago, following redundancy from my Investment Banking role, maybe I can offer some insights. What I used to do was e-mail photos of me playing gigs to myself at work and then use them as my screen-saver. People walking past my desk - international lawyers, managing directors and high-powered senior people from all round the world - would all get a good look at their senior Equity Derivatives paralegal on stage giving it some (have a look at my avatar). Do the same with your art; as soon as you have something you half think is half-decent put it in front of people. Expect to have to talk about it with people you never knew worked there. When people outside work ask you what you do, the answer is "I'm an artist". If they ask you what you create, think of your favourite art thing - people, landscapes, whales, whatever - and say that. The rest of that conversation is up to you, but do start blowing your own trumpet. Use the free publicity - Facebook/ Twitter/ Instagram et al. This place is free but you're preaching to the converted here so the returns are lower. However, we do want to see your stuff in the Gallery :-) Re-read the above comment about using the free publicity. Don't pay for anything until you have enough revenues coming in to cover the cost. And spend as much of your time as you can creating product. The rest of your time needs to be spent telling people about what you've created. I've just put 16 videos up on my YouTube channel (search for the "Rollmop" channel) for my pre-Grade Exam students to use as reference material. (See? constantly marketing). And enjoy it. Too many people spend their lives doing jobs they hate. I had many opportunities to go back into Investment Banking; I told them to poke it.

Edited
by alang23

Thank you Georgina, that is just the thing I needed to hear. I know its going to be a slow process, but I'll will to take it. :) Thank you Sandra for your wishes!