Knowing when to stop with oil painting.

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
I would love some expert advice on my oil painting. I never know when ive finished but would love the experts to take a look and advise on my efforts. I've not had any lessons in oils and just finding my feet and experimenting. Would love to do more but with more confidence.
I shall pose as an expert for the purposes of this discussion. For me, an oil painting, or painting in opaque media generally, is finished when I look at it and can't think what more I could do. And that isn't very helpful, I'm afraid, because after painting for many years I normally know when that little extra refinement is going to be a distraction, or just not even noticeable. Which means, really, that it's down to experience: you'll know, more or less and insofar as any of us knows, when you've said what you had to say when you've acquired more of it. There was a Victorian painter, whose name escapes me for the moment, who had an extensive collection of theatrical draperies and used them to clothe the characters he painted from classical/mediaeval scenes (I can see one of his paintings even now, but can't recall his name). But then he would change his mind. The picture was finished, even exhibited - and he'd creep back to it, and completely change the colour and pattern of a costume to one he thought might work better. So you're not alone - even professionals aren't always sure when they've finished. I like the painting you show us above - well composed, light well captured, tonal contrast all present and correct, and the picture has weight and substance. So you're not doing badly.
It's all fine Rachel, but definitely quit now, any more detail will not be helpful. I like the way you have given the foreground that extra depth in colour, essential and necessary. Whilst I said quit now, I would just revisit the dome. The ellipse at the base needs a bit of work, there are some straight lines and there shouldn't be any, it needs to have a gradual curve. Also worth a mention for next time, select your light source and stick rigidly to it, paying careful attention to cast shadows where they fall onto other parts of the building. It can sometimes help if these darkest areas are loosely indicated at the outset, this will give you a strong and accurate base to work on. A complicated subject so well done.
I think only the artist concerned can decide when a painting is finished, that's not much help I know, and it's no easy decision...as Daveyboyz said it's fairly easy to make things worse. It's always easier when talking about other people's work. This subject came up recently with a drawing that looked just fine to me, suggestions were offered and some taken up...as they were minor the work wasn't spoiled, it remained what it was before the alterations and additions - a fine piece of work. With oils and acrylics you have the luxury, or curse, of being able to continually make quite dramatic changes...in theory you could work on the same painting for the rest of your life. I use watercolour and pen and ink, this doesn't allow for major reworking...if it goes wrong, for the most part that's it. Start another picture. That's why art is difficult. That's why it's good. I don't think Rachel needs to worry too much, the painting looks good to me. And I think all she can do is what we all have to do...keep at it. If you're lucky you'll produce something you're totally satisfied with...but I'm still waiting for that. Good work Rachel, you can paint.
Rachel, you describe what I have learnt to do. I leave the painting ion its stand for days just looking at me and when I come away from looks and glances without a niggle that there'smore to do I think, maybe it's finished. But I am a really early stages beginner so I wouldnt read too much into what I do :-)) D
It's your painting, Rachel, stop when you think it is right, we all have different styles. What might look wrong to others just might alter your way of doing things and spoil that individual look. Happy Painting :)
The eternal question, when is it finished. It's finished when you have achieved what you saw when you set out on the painting. Painting corner to corner detail may suit one artist but be irrelevant to another. It's what your intention was that matters...unless you are a process painter of course...different rules.