Anyone made their own reed pen?

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 1 of 3
I'm always on the lookout for new pens that come on the market, I'm addicted to trying them out on all sorts of papers and so on. Just looking through my April edition of The Artist and there is a rather interesting article on making them from scratch. I haven't digested it all as yet but I don't think that I will be able to collect my own, coastal places are favourable for reeds in the main so that's me out. Anything that makes an interesting mark is what I'm after, I've made all sorts of pens over the years, from bamboo and the like but never a reed pen. I will have a look on Google later, that may throw something up, but if anyone has anything else to add please shout up. I know that they are used widely for calligraphy but I am impressed with the mark making qualities as shown in the article. I am a big fan of the old scratchy and blobby mapping pens, but I do want to give these chaps a try.
I've never used one, but have seen them being cut and used - the artist Geoffrey Camp (possible spelling error) and van Gogh used them, often with brown/bistre ink. They have more 'give' than bamboo pens, I believe. And some are commercially available, if you lack the skill and Stanley knife to cut your own (which would certainly apply to me).
Thanks Robert, I was expecting you to rush off down to your nearest reed bed and forage some for me... You are quite right about van Gogh, this article confirms that statement. I am capable of making them if I had the blasted reeds, but if I can't find a source of supply I will have to buy a commercially produced one - just not the same somehow is it?.
Good grief Sylvia, behave yourself, I almost choked on my dinner. Yes there probably are some thatchers' around, I know of a few old thatched buildings but is this the right stuff, I haven't a clue. The article says they need to be reeds from wetland etc. I can't find a source on Google but can buy a ready made one from Lithuania. It's a couple of quid plus the same postage, this has a fine point which is what I'm after, not a calligraphy chisel point. Do have a look at what yours look like, they may dry out and make something scribeable. I'm looking for an implement that produces varying thicknesses of line, under the skilled control of the holder of this said implement, this will be me, so I will need some practice no doubt.
Well, thanks for your suggestions, I've tried some of them in the past mind you, but after reading the article in The Artist magazine I'm hell bent on giving the humble reed pen a go. I've got a few iron's in the fire so to speak, I am sure something will transpire with the raw materials. If not, plan B will mean buying a selection of ready-made one's which was not my original intention, but that's what I will probably do anyway, I can see first-hand then how an expert has made one. I'm not desperate for drawing pens, I have many dozens which I use frequently, but I am always looking for that something special - this may or may not be the one but I need to find out first hand. David P, thanks for that offer, appreciated I can assure you, I may come back to you on this one in due course.
Thanks anyway Sylvia, it was worth a look but I will persevere. I have tried straws in the past but I want a reed pen. In the article they look about the thickness of a pencil and quite robust, almost like bamboo.
I got the "reeds" but found that the thatcher is actually using simple straw. This surprised me as I thought they used special reeds, but he certainly wasnt and you'd struggle to have made firelighters let alone pens. I tried, but it was no good. Sorry D
Well that's a new one on me also David. Thanks all the same for trying. I've spotted a group of bulrushes in the carp pond which may do the job, I've just got to find someone to wade in a few feet and cut one. They are massive so one stem should make a fair few pens. I'll let you know how I get on if I do manage to get a stem.
Oh, that sounds just the job Fiona, I would want them pencil length mind you, not a 3 inch stump, I need something to grip on whilst creating Rembrandt style drawings... Let me see if I can find some fool to wade in and get these here first, if not then that would be brilliant. I'll be in touch via email, people may be getting bored with this thread by now, although there is little else on here at present.
Looks like you're going to get your reed pen Alan. Then we're all going to want to see the resulting painting(s)!

Edited
by SandraKennedy

I've tried willow twigs, but not reeds. I've got sedge in my pond, so I could try that. willow is quite good though.
Well, there we go - it just goes to show how helpful you all are. It is starting to look possible that the art world will not be deprived of my reed pen drawings after all. Oh my goodness, talk about putting pressure on oneself, but let's see how I get on. David P, once again thanks, hold the bamboo for the time being. Fiona is sending me a bundle of bulrush stems, not just any mind you, these are prime Scottish bulrushes. Thank you Fiona and everyone else who tried to help - watch this space...

Edited
by alanbickley

Showing page 1 of 3