The joys of Naples yellow

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
I like Naples yellow. I like Naples yellow a lot. I paint the agricultural landscape (in East Yorkshire it's hard to find a landscape that isn't agricultural). I mix most of my colours but Naples yellow is a ready-made I can find a lot of uses for. Fields of wheat, sunlight on ripe barley, dried rushes on the river bank; Naples yellow is more delicate than yellow ochre and less intense than cadmium yellow. I like Naples yellow.
I agree I know some artists years ago added white to lemon yellow ,a tea drop of a strong blue like a prussian glaze on top can make a beautiful Carebean sea colour ,,, I don,t use it .. but understand why you do for corn fields and sun patches on fields ,,,
It's always been one of my favourites too although it doesn't seem to figure much in my recent paintings.
A colour that is always on my palette, along with Raw Sienna and Yellow Ochre, they are all useful. However, Naples Yellow varies considerably among the different brands and I've settled on Michael Harding for some years now.
You're right Alan, it does. Also seems to vary a lot—more than might be anticipated from different pigments etc.—between mediums. Which can be annoying.
In watercolour, you can use Naples Yellow with a touch of green or Light Red to make opaque marks - or of course use it on its own. It's a lot better than using a white, certainly better than Chinese White. Mix it with a bit of Emerald Green or Viridian until you've got a nice, thick colour, and it'll stand out well. And it can be used for highlighting, if you prefer to use a paint rather than scratching or blotting out, or if you forget to reserve white paper. In oil, it has many uses - as a base for skies, for instance,near the horizon. Only one word of caution there: make sure it's not mixed with a Zinc White, if you're worried by possible future delamination - I haven't entirely given up on Zinc, but am very cautious about using it in any quantity, in underpainting especially. (By the way, in 50 years I've never yet had a delamination problem - but these things can take 100 years or more to manifest themselves.) In acrylic, the basic pigments will probably be different, so it will vary a lot between brands - but it all seems to be very useful: the Chromacolour Naples Yellow is particularly satisfying, I find - introducing an element of brightness, rather than the chalky quality you sometimes get. And in acrylic, it doesn't matter if there's Zinc White in it, either. And - I need to buy some more in oil.... and probably in acrylic; thanks for reminding me, John.
Lovely photo Syd, as Sylvia said you both look very happy. Congratulations and best wishes to you both.
Well done, Syd and Margaret: and both looking very well on it.
Lovely photo Syd. congratulations. Meanwhile, back on the farm. Naples yellow is a useful addition to clouds.
I knew an artist - well, I still do know her, but I think her practice may have changed - who never used white for clouds, but the very palest Naples Yellow, which in those days was available in three grades from George Rowney & Co - wonder if Daler Rowney still make it that way..... note to self: go and look.
Great photo Syd, congratulations to you both. Robert, I have just been using Naples yellow by Royal Talens, their Rembrandt range which are superb. I also have their Naples Yellow Light and also Deep. Between those three shades I can produce a vast range of gorgeous colours. Personally, I would never advocate using white for clouds (I'm not suggesting that you were). Naples yellow would be great to add to it, or of course good old Yellow Ochre.
Wow Syd that is such a great achievement, congratulations to you and your lovely wife, may you celebrate many more years of togetherness.