The Earth Moved!

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Don't know if you've heard but here in Wales this afternoon about 2.30pm we had an earthquake, 4.9 on the scale - thought the chimney had fallen down or a car had crashed. The dog didn't know what had hit him (figuratively speaking)!! Apparently the epicentre seems to be very near where I live (not too far from Swansea) and the tremors were felt as far away as Preston and Cornwall! What fun on a Saturday afternoon!:):):):):):)
Just heard this on the news...I’m in north Wales but was in Shropshire when it happened so did not experience anything . Are you sure it was felt in Preston cos that’s even further away than me . Hope the dog is recovering. 🙃 Wow, just seen the report and yes all the way up to the Lake District and as far East as London.

Edited
by SylviaEvans

Experienced a very slight tremble some years ago when I lived in Leeds. It's such a 'deep' vibration that it's impossible to describe because it compares with nothing else I know of.
They are absolutely terrifying, and as someone who has been through a pretty major one I do hope that you don't get any more. We've just had our 7th anniversary of the huge quake that pretty well destroyed Christchurch. Followed by over 20,000 aftershocks, some substantial! I was rather surprised to read that you had had one over there as you're not on the ring of fire, which is where most of them seem to happen. Local faultline?
There was rather a fad for earthquake themed paintings in the first year afterwards but they're not in evidence at all now.
Great link, thanks Sylvia. Such a pity about the ballerina, I loved her. Hopefully there will be room for street art in the rebuilt city (if it ever is rebuilt properly, it's certainly taking long enough. What happens when you get politicians and bureaucrats).