Whattayas make of sun-thickened?!!. . .

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
I've pretty much always utilized stand oil in my medium; in fact, most my teachers advocated that. I've been pleased there too: I love the viscosity and feel stand provides. Recently, though, I e-correspondin' with a former instructor of mine (who utilizes stand), and he surprised me by relayin' some reservations about that. He con- cedes the long while stand takes to dry; even conceding it as ridiculous. In fact, he maintained he even adds drier into his medium - A stand glaze can collect dust for months. . . He conceded as a younger man he'd experimented with sun-thickened linseed: It dries faster too. He stayed with stand, however, I might give sun-thickened a go. So I utilize the knowledge of members of this forum; I'd love your 2¢ here: Whatta yas make of sun-thickened, particularly as compared with stand?! And not leastly, which brands ya'd advise I try? jr
You're in the USA? If so, the Natural Pigments company, based in California, makes a "bodied oil" - near to the character of stand oil and sun-thickened oil. This is the company who make Rublev paints. And its proprietor is an authority on the chemistry of paint-making, so it should be worth a try. If you're elsewhere, there are still some outlets that sell this - the Supreme Paint Company, I believe, in the UK. I use sun-thickened oil which I make myself in small batches - it takes a long time to make it, but then it's economical in use. Takes a while to dry if used very thickly, and has a number of other undesirable characteristics - i.e. 'beading' on the support, and looking a bit too much like linoleum. But that only happens if you're too heavy-handed with it; and provided you're not, it doesn't take much longer to dry than straight Linseed.
Your 2¢ appreciated, Rob. I from the States indeed and well aware of Rublev. Perhaps I ignorant insofar as how one ought go about this search; all I came up with from Rublev's their Oil Mediums 1 through 6 - 'Neva' used 'em, though, so I'm altogether unfamiliar with what they obtain, or for that matter, which of Rublev's respec- tive stuff might tickle my fancy. After all, Natural Pigs in the biz to please artists, and I wish this desire met - If we could both, golden!! Perhaps I can skip the step of purchasin' their decent enough stuff, great though it may be, won't achieve my particular aim. So if you or anyone else aware where go from here, plz share - Let's get this done. jr
Not completely sure what you're asking for (and in passing, do you have something against the letter 'g'? Just askin'....) If you want to know how to make your own sun-thickened oil, which I don't imagine you do, my method isn't the best by a long way - because I only make it (make it.... what I do is basically leave Linseed oil in partially covered containers for a long time; it's a bit pompous to call that 'making' something) in limited batches. If you want a less expensive source than Natural Pigments, well doubtless Dick Blick will sell you something - but I wouldn't know anything about it. You can buy stand oil from Jacksons, who ship internationally, but the only one I've ever seen ready-made (but know there are others) is by the very old London firm of Roberson. I can only recommend our mutual friend Mr Google if you want to investigate further.