Printing your artwork

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
I am a writer and I am currently researching a project for a client on how artists go about printing prints of their originals. Do you use professional printers and if so, what sorts of things to do you look for in a printer? Is there a particular paper or technique that you need and do you need to have a sample before you go ahead and order your prints. Any help you can give would be very much appreciated. Many thanks Emma
Those who get prints of their work, which doesn't include me, use the giclée process, on the whole. One who does is Peter Williams, who can be found on his Mighty Fine Art website, and also on Facebook (under the same monicker, I think). There are many others. The requirement of course is to provide prints with staying power - on good quality paper, acid-free, and with lightfast inks. To achieve this, you can't rely on your computer, or even a laser colour printer (although some do - price probably reflects the quality). Another who has prints made for sale, which she does through her Etsy shop I think, is Béatrice Cloake, who also has her own website and FB page - she also has some of her work printed on fabrics, for soft furnishings, bags, even clothing, and mugs - all a good means of generating some income so you can pay for paint. The reason I don't do it is a combination of sheer laziness and meanness - the initial outlay requires a level of investment needed to get a good product, probably a better camera than I possess in order to take professional quality photographs for the printer, and the willingness, once and if things take off, to run a small business, in effect, with all the tax complications that, having retired, I really much like to avoid. I'm sure others on POL have prints of their work made, though, so perhaps one of them will tell both of us how easy and cost-effective it really is, and inspire me at least to pull my finger out.
All the larger picture framing companies these days provide giclee and computer facilities. I am sure if you contact one in your area they will be pleased to show you their facilities and explain them to you.