This site is too easy to access

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Once again we invited to partake... I think to save themselves the admin should make registration and posting harder. I'd have no objection to re registering but whether it could be done separately from the gallery so that users and artwork aren't separated I don't know. D
Is the idea to make it harder to registrate? If yes, then it might discourage the spammers. It's unusual though to have a delay after registering. I imagine that the Forum management is keen to build up the number of members. It might consider a certain level of spam is tolerable.
I’ll ignore your mild ticking off Sylvia it does not encourage me to visit the forum more often. I admire the time Robert Jones gives to the Forum searching for inappropriate posts and removing them - good for him. But I’ll say again that to find material which might be called spam I had to go looking for it. I did find comment on the ‘Watercolour Tips’ thread. Somebody was castigated for advertising his own business which I suppose is misuse of the Forum. Then the same thread degenerated into quite uncivilised language. Somebody was described as a ‘boorish human being who should be shunned’ - and there was more. This by one of our frequent contributors. Vulgar language of this kind should be deleted as quite unsuitable for educated debate. So after witnessing this I’m not inclined to use the Forum more often. I do visit ‘Painters Online’ to look at the general content and to buy occasionally a past copy of ‘The Artist’. I think one of my daughters must have seen a copy lying around on the sofa and she secretly joined with her sister to purchase an annual subscription to ‘The Artist’ for my birthday. I can be sure not to come across insulting language in its pages.
I'm a Forum Moderator at Guitarnoise dot com. There, new users' first five posts have to be approved by the Moderators; it's manual, proactive and effective. On occasions, I log in and find 20 or 30 spam posts from one new user in the Approval queue - none of them are visible outside the Moderation queue until they've been approved. If I disapprove them, nobody knows except me, the spammer and the other Moderators - I allow myself a chuckle at the thought of the spammer sitting there reading all those "Nope" e-mails. It's not a complicated tool to set up, apparently; there should be a couple of flags to set and a number of posts which require approval to choose. It prevents bona fide Forum users seeing any spam.
RobK2 - most of the spam (although not all of it) seems to appear overnight and is there early in the morning. If you do not log in until later in the day you will probably miss it thanks to the excellent work of the moderators.
Agree. I've seen it once when I logged in before the moderators had had a chance to remove it, there was masses of it. Multiply that by the amount each day and the site would soon be overwhelmed. So a big thank-you to Dawn and Robert for keeping the site useable.