Inktense blocks

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Hi. Ive just purchased a set of 72 inktense blocks, having previously used a smaller set and been really impressed with them, however I'm dissapointed with the granulation in my new set. Im a novice painter so not sure if this is normal. Any advice would be welcome.
Some pigments are natural granulators like cobalt violet and french ultramarine. I have to say I only like granulation for an accent colour, I don't like it in a sky or sea wash. I paint watercolours and mostly use transparent pigments.
I've not used Inktense, but I do use watercolour pencils. If you say the granular appearance in the 72 colour range isn't noticeable in the smaller range you bought before, you could go back to the retailer and complain. Or write to Derwent and explain the problem: https://www.derwentart.com/en/gb/home To me, the colours on the photo look smeary. But I'd say that's common with watercolour pencil pigments. When applied on paper they aren't as smooth as conventional water colour pigments in tubes or in blocks

Edited
by keora

I've never used these pencils, though have heard bordering-on ecstatic praise of them. As was said, though, not all colours (by a long chalk) granulate. You can buy a granulating medium, which should work on most watercolour pigments - but I'm not overly keen on granulation for the sake of it; Ultramarine will granulate, as will Light Red - you can achieve a lot with those two colours alone; mixing one with a non-granulating colour will still provide a degree of granulation, if that's any help.
If you don't want it, then risk the wrath of Syd Edward by using the dye-based colours (he just hates them) like Pthalo Blue, or Prussian Blue. I can't offhand remember how many other colours granulate in watercolour (I think my memory is getting worse!) - but Ultramarine does, Light Red does; the Cadmiums don't; crimsons and violets don't, or I can't think of any that do. Most paint makers show a G on their websites, and sometimes on their tubes, to indicate those which granulate. I like a bit of granulation sometimes, but at the very least I like it to be where I want it, and not all over the place. Point is, if you don't like it, you can avoid it; similarly, if you do, you can buy the paints which will granulate or flocculate.