What have we learnt today?

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
I'll start.. 1 Poinsettias are VERY much harder to paint than they look. 2. The vintage WHS colours are very nice to look at, horrible to use. The paint is so hard that one needs a scrubbing brush to get any coverage at all. 3. The difference between Schmincke and White Nights in use and to look at is negligible. The difference between tubes and pans remains...more pigment available per dip in tubes. (My Schmincke are tubes, my White Nights are pans) 4 The difference between Winsor and Newton Cottman colours and either Schminke or White Nights is largely one of pigment mass. The colours are very similar. I'd always go for the latter two in preference purely because of the pigment density. So, apart from 'wasting' a good piece of thick rough paper I learnt much...so not really a waste at all, and I have turned it over to do something else anyway. David
Small addition to your learning process David. The Winsor and Newton Cotman colours are student quality. , they are brilliant for sketching and practise stuff e g Christmas Poinsettias . But they won’t have the longevity of either White nights or Schminke and would probably fade sooner than the other two. Though for sketching they are excellent. Well you have had a busy day very well done . Says she in a patronising tone. 😉 Sad your vintage colours are not happy to paint with. Never mind they look good .

Edited
by SylviaEvans