Conundrum of commission

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
I'm a hobby painter, with the desire to be better and to exhibit (without being an exhibit myself). I've shared a couple of pix on social media,just because there's a subject dear to my heart as a rugby man, and now have had an approach about a commission. There have also been expressions of interest from other people for commissions. I'm not an artist. I'm a bloke dabbling with oils. I've said I'll give the commission a go, but for the chap to fund the cost of the canvas. Nothing more. Now I'm worried that it won't be good enough; that I've been fortunate in a couple of efforts so far. I have ambition for my painting - but not for fame or money. I want to have my work exhibited, but without the fanfare or spotlight on me. I think I like the idea of my paintings gracing walls in a number of households, and I think I'd like to offer my work for sale in the future, if it becomes good enough. I'm at an impasse. I'm a journalist by profession, 30 years worth, but now jobless, living as a house husband and looking after my eight month old daughter and 11 year old son. I'm an ideas man, a doer, but not a salesman. Any views would be appreciated.
So someone has seen a painting you did and asked you to do one for them. They will bear the cost. They know you are an amateur. Whats not to like? Do it. If they are unhappy with the final image, tough...it happened with W S Churchill too...I believe he threw the portrait in the bin. I have been asked to paint one of some Lancaster bombers for a friend who's relative flew them. I has taken me ages to sketch it, prepare it ets and I have changed paints and paper to get this as good as I can: and there's the rub, it will only be as good as I can make it. I have shown my 'client' the sketches etc so he knows how its going and of course he is delighted. I hope the end product also delights...but it will, because his friend (me) has put in a lot of effort and so he sees the picture through tinted specs. It's different, it seems to me, from a stranger walking past a gallery. So I say go for it. Just don't expect it to be the start of fame and fortune! David
It's difficult. Here in Cornwall, I see paintings that are plain awful, with big price tags. Not that I could do better, but I'd aspire to do better before I dared ask for a tenth of the asking price. That now makes me sound like a snob, but I'm far from that. And no, no fame or fortune in the dream for me. Thanks, David. Love to see your Lanc pic. It's an area I am familiar with. Mark
Many of us approach commissions with trepidation, however experienced we like to think ourselves. I certainly do - though it depends on the commission; my most recent one was to paint a telegraph pole against roofs and an evening light - specific roofs, specific place - and It made me very nervous because I'd not done anything like that before. I don't (shhh) actually like the painting, but its new owner seems happy; and fortunately he doesn't visit POL. You might well think it one of the "awful" ones, and if you did you'd have my sympathy, to be quite honest. All you can ever do is your best, and presumably your commissioner knows, as David says, that you're not a professional but an amateur who's prepared to have a go: in your place then, I'd just do it, and not get too worked up about producing a masterpiece - relax and enjoy it, give it the same attention as you've given your other paintings, which attracted the commission in the first place, and don't get nervous and tense (or "uptight", as those younger than I am might say) about it. With any luck, you will produce your masterpiece, but just let it happen naturally. It's only paint and canvas, it's what you like to do - so enjoy it. The more free you are of anxieties, the better your painting will be.
I do the same as davide19 with my watercolour commissions. If the customer is not satisfied with the image of the finished painting which I send by email they are under no obligation whatsoever - - however, if they are happy with it I will not dispatch until funds have been received in full. So far I have never received a rejection. If the customer is able to visit my studio then they can only have it if they are happy with it and pay before doing so. I always think it's a risk worth taking - however there is an exception to this rule. If I need to spend time up front visiting the site, spending time and petrol I do ask for a non-returnable deposit to cover these initial costs.
Some good points, and thank you all for the thoughts. I'm not a confident person by nature (and I'm happy with that). And a painting is something you should be stuck with for years. It has to be good enough IMHO to pass muster every time anyone looks at it. And, in my fifth or so incarnation with oils, I know I'm improving and learning stuff that can make a big difference, but I still feel I have a long way to go before I'm satisfied. I've quite a few pictures on the go - for my pleasure, or a challenge. I'm trying to find a style that suits me, that can encapsulate my passion for the subject, whatever it may be. It's the thorny issue of money, because, to me, that says something should be to a certain standard.