With the birds

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
I just put this down and am not sure whether I have finished with it... I could probably give the birds a bit more form by giving them some more detail and shading but the main focus on the figure I am happy enough with. I wanted to give an impression of some of the rock and dirt and green in the birds enclosure without getting into the detail of it, which really goes against the grain for me (I find looseness difficult and bewildering) Its a bit naive compared to many of the works I see here but then I can't expect to just pick up a brush and be DeVinci. This was my first figure in 20 years.... what can I do to improve on this?
Light sources and shadowed areas a bit hit and miss , eg the shadows in the enclosure are too strong and give no sense of recession , then the red seat has no strong shadow so has no form. Figure shape good, , but your tonal values are all similar by that I mean reds and greens are all same strength if you vary them your figure would be more pronounced . Try looking at it with your eyes half closed that will help you see what needs darkening. Interesting subject . No one is a Da Vinci apart from Da Vinci 🙃
Thanks for the comments... I realise I should have dulled down the red paint on the concrete block on which she sits... this was in shadow (as you can see on the ground) so shouldn't have been so vivid. The green tones were pretty consistent but I now see I should have varied the tones particularly in the top left hand side to give it more depth. Its all a learning curve, and it looks OK if you squint a bit from the back of a galloping horse :P
I can't add to Sylvia's crit, other than to say that all you need is practice - just keep doing what you're doing. Yes there are one or two problems with the painting, but keep observing from life and you'll get there; you've got all the basics, just need to refine your expertise. Just don't get better than me, that's all...... if there's one thing I can't stand, it's competition.